Wednesday, December 4, 2013

2013 Advent Calendar Scarf, Day 4

Hello:

My sister, niece, great-nephews and great-nieces, as well as my mom and dad, all came to dinner tonight.  We had a wonderful time.  I was able to give my niece and her husband the afghan that I made for their first wedding anniversary, my Arithmancy OWL Afghan.
I have to admit that I am super proud of this afghan.  Every square is unique.  I designed six of the squares myself, and on others, I expanded smaller squares with my own designs for their borders.  The design for putting together the squares is completely random.  I hooked them together as I made them.  I have learned my lesson in waiting to put the squares together at the end.  Now, I always hook them into rows immediately.  As I finish up the rows, I then hook the rows together.  This way, when I finish the last square, all I have to do is hook it into its row, hook that last row to the afghan, and get started on the border.

2013 Advent Calendar Scarf, Day 4 by Kristin Benecken



The pattern today had no new stitches, just a cable. 

\\ The cable instructions were to "cable 2 stitches to the left or sl 2 stitches to cable needle and hold in front, k2 stitches, then k2 from cable needle." 

I did my cables without using a cable needle:

Insert the right needle into the back of 3rd and 4th stitches on the left needle.
Drop stitches 1 and 2 off the left needle.  They should fall to the front.
Pick up the dropped stitches with the left needle.
Slip the un-knit 3rd and 4th stitches back onto the left needle.  They are now your 1st and 2nd stitches in order.
Knit the stitches in the new order.

Continue with the purl stitches. And your cable is finished. 
This method doesn't work well with slippery yarn.  But if the yarn sticks (as most wools will), it is a very fast way to cable.

This is what my scarf looks like now:
Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with family.






No comments:

Post a Comment