Tuesday, December 24, 2013

2013 Advent Calendar Scarf, Day 24 On The Wires

Hello:

How will Santa find our house in this fog?  Actually, it has burned off by now (1:20 pm), and I will try to get another photo up of how beautiful today is.

I have finished my 2013 Advent Calendar Scarf, ABW (all but weaving in).  The scarf is on the blocking mats downstairs.  I am so happy.

I finished the pattern for Day 24 last night, but was just too tired to completely finish the final spacer section that forms the end of the scarf.  I actually knit the bead row, but just couldn't do the last three rows of garter stitch.  That was the first thing I did this morning.  Then I put the scarf in my washing machine (on delicate) with a little Eucalan Wool Wash.  I cooked the Doc some breakfast, then cleaned the kitchen (ha ha ha).  Then I went down to block the scarf.

First let me show you Day 24.
It looks a bit distorted in this photo but I wanted to show a non-blocked version first.  This pattern had instructions for both odd and even rows (right and wrong sides).  This meant that in addition to ssk and k2tog, there were p2tog and p2togtbl.  I discovered (by actually paying attention to my knitting), that the ssk's and p2togtbl were paired.  And, the k2tog and p2tog were paired.  This connection could come in handy if I am ever designing something with decreases that happen on both right and wrong sides of the fabric.

See how silly I can get late at night?

The other funny thing I discovered last night is that Doc doesn't totally understand my knitting obsession.  Here is our conversation:

Me:  I can't make dinner because I have to finish the last day's pattern.
Doc:  Why?
Me:  I have to have the knitting finished so I can block the scarf tomorrow, that way it will be all finished before Christmas Day.
Doc:  O!  Who is it for?
Me:  Me
Doc:  If it's not a gift, why does it have to be finished by Christmas Day?

I feel that the idea of an Advent Calendar Scarf KAL has escaped him.

So, here are the blocking photos:

Unblocked and dry:
That is a meter stick next to it.

Wet and with the welding wires inserted, but no pins yet:
And here is what it looks like pinned:
It is not quite 9 mats long, and the mats are about 11.5 in. each. I didn't measure, but it looks a bit more than one mat wide, so a bit wider than 12 in?

And for those of you who are crazy and want to see each day blocked, here they are:
ha ha ha!  I just realized all these photos are up-side-down.  I'll post them again later right-side-up.

Day 1

 Day 2


 Day 3


 Day 4


Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8

Day 9

Day 10

Day 11

Day 12

Day 13

Day 14

Day 15

Day 16

Day 17

Day 18

Day 19

Day 20

Day 21

Day 22

Day 23

Day 24

If it is not too damp, I will wear it tonight.

Merry Christmas,
f1bercat
Shaping the planet with silk and merino.


No comments:

Post a Comment