Friday, December 13, 2013

2013 Advent Calendar Scarf, Day 13

Hello:

Today the Fiber Friday group in Eastside Stitchers had our Holiday Party and Gift Swap.  We met at the delightful home of CodyJunk.  It was all decorated for Christmas with an amazing Santa Window, better than any department store could ever do.  We all brought  brunch items, and CodyJunk provided the drinks (mmmm mimosas!)  There was a lot of knitting, eating, laughing, and the of course opening the swap bags.  We did not draw names for this swap, we all just  brought a package with yarn and a home made item.  When we choose gifts (by number), there was the chance for swapping, or stealing a gift already opened, but although every gift was something I know I would love to have, the lure of the unopened gift was too much, and no one stole.

First, who was there and what were they knitting?
CathieC brought her MacArthur Park Cowl.  She specifically wants you to notice that she has completed 2 rows since Wednesday night.

Zillalatte brought the beginning of an afghan.  She brought the finished one on a Friday when I was down in So. Calif.  I have heard the ooooohs and ahhhhhhhhs about the finished afghan.  I can't wait to see this one.

CodyJunk was starting a cowl, a man-cowl.  She might end up calling it an "infinity scarf."  Some men aren't too sure about the meaning of the word, "cowl."

Constance49 brought a miniature sock ornament.  She must be channeling Skeinherder.

 Wireknitter brought the entrelac headband she has been working on as well as a beautiful finished cowl for Show and Tell.
I did not take individual photos of the goodies we exchanged, but, here is the lot.  The home made presents included two pair of fingerless mitts, a set of felted coasters, a beaded Santa pin, a shawl pin, and a sewn project bag.  The yarns were lovely (especially the yellow sock yarn!!)

On to the 2013 Advent Calendar Scarf pattern for Day 13.

I actually finished this day's pattern last night.  Because the designer lives in Germany, she often posts the pattern for the next day at what is midnight for her in Germany.  This is around noon for me.  Yesterday, when I finished Day 12, I checked for the next pattern, and since it had been posted, I downloaded it, and got started.  I finished it at about 11 pm.  Then, I realized that I had not posted for Day 12!  ha ha I had to stay up and do a quick day 12 post before I could go to  bed.

There is one new stitch for this day's pattern, and in my opinion, it takes a bit of explanation.  The symbol on the chart is <.  The instructions for that symbol say < = sl1 k2 psso = slip 1 stitch, knit the next 2 titches and pass slip stitch over.  I looked at the first three symbols on the chart and reading right to left they are:

I I <

So, I slipped the first stitch purlwise, k2 then passed the slipped stitch over the two knit stitches.  This leaves an interesting wrapped looking pair of stitches.

Then I knit  the next 2 stitches, and went on with the row.  When I got to the end of the first row, I was off in my stitch count.  I double checked with the written instructions, and realized that the first 3 symbols for I I < were all that first "stitch."  Basically, you are taking 3 stitches and ending up with 2 stitches which are wrapped, or belted.


That is the only new thing to the day's pattern.  When you are on the even row, you treat those belted/wrapped stitches as two different stitches.  I purled them on the even rows. 

At first, I could not figure out what this weird stitch was going to do to the pattern.  But I love it!  It looks a bit like cables.
The photo doesn't do it justice.  This is a stitch pattern that I want to use again.  Not sure on what, but, it has a cool texture, a cabled effect, and the lace holes.  Really interesting.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with new yellow sock yarn, and some gorgeous fingerless mitts.

No comments:

Post a Comment