Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Advent Calendar Scarf Day 7 Wednesday, December 7, 2011

I am going to do another blog as I go today.

I have been trying to post every day since I want to make myself finish each Day's section of the Advent Calendar Scarf I am making as part of a KAL (knit a long) on Ravelry.  Unfortunately, since I have been finishing many of the sections about midnight, they are taking me about 6 hours each to knit, I am way to tired to actually write anything about my day, my knitting, or that particular lace pattern.  I can barely take a photo and post it.

As I knit, I often have things I want to write about the pattern of the day, but they are all gone by the time I stumble to the camera to take the photo, post and then do a quick write up.  In fact, I am a bit afraid to go back and read what I wrote these last few days.  I have no idea if it was at all comprehensible.

6:05 and I'm taking a break to eat dinner (and finish fixing it).  The Doc (my husband) has a meeting, so it is just Luke and me for dinner.  I have finished Row 17.  I hope I can finish the section before I have to leave to get Samantha from the train station in Seattle at 9.  (leaving at 9, she arrives @ 9:45 PM).



I did want to say something about yesterday's pattern, Day 6.  There was a set of stitches that the designer (Wollkistchen on Ravelry) marked in the pattern as "IOI"  .  She gave the direction for this pattern as S1 K1 YO K1 PSSO  ( slip 1, knit 1 Yarn Over, knit 1, pass the slipped stitch over the 3 stitches).  This reminded me soooooo much of a stitch I used when I was making the beautiful Osier  Socks by Nicole Masson.  




That pattern has a stitch that is S1,  KYOK into the next stitch, Pass the slipped stitch over the 3 new stitches.  So it was a tighter version of the stitch.  And then!  if that isn't enough, I was looking through my new sock book, Knitted Socks East and West by Judy Sumner.  And I saw the same stitch pattern ( the version from Osier socks).  Judy Sumner calls it "PKOK"  or Peacock.  Pass Knit yarn Over Knit. 

I felt like I was back in high school English, learning vocabulary for the SAT.  It seems like every time you learn a new word, you suddenly see it everywhere.  It was exactly the same for me with this new knitting vocabulary.  I am so proud of myself that I recognized the stitch.  

It is 2:30 pm. and I am on row 6 of  24 rows of the Day 7 pattern.  I would be farther, but I drove to Seattle to pick up Samantha at the train station this morning at 9:45.  When I got to the station at 9:30 and texted Samantha to let her know I was parked out front (knitting), she texted back that she was arriving on the 9:45 pm train.  LOL!  I should have known she would never get up early enough to catch a train with a morning arrival.

Anyway, I have knit the 8 row spacer with the beads, and 5 rows of the pattern so far,  Back to knitting.

It's now 3:30, I have just finished row 8.  I am going to time myself and see how far I get in 1 hours knitting.  I will only stop to change/continue podcasts.  I'm listening to KnitMoreGirls  Podcast.  This morning I was listening to CraftLit.  I just discovered these and am really enjoying listening while I knit.  I love Knitting History  Podcast, but she has not posted a new one since this summer, so I have been looking for new material while I knit.  ok, 3:35 now... on to Row 9!  4:27 and I just finished Row 11.  So about 3 rows / hour.

I AM SO SLOW.

At 6:00 and Row 17 I stopped for dinner.  It is now 6:35 and I am ready to start up again.  I have to stop at 9 to drive to Seattle to get Samantha.  I won't be finished...

I just want to say that right now I am listening to This American Life podcast of their Poultry Slam, and I'm laughing so hard I'm knitting slower and slower so I don't drop stitches.

I finished this section at 8:50 pm PST.   Watching Dr. Who with Luke, I might add =)


This is Day 7 pattern:


This is what the scarf looks like so far (unblocked of course!)



19 Days until Christmas!

I'm going to actually work on a new pair of socks while I wait for the train to come in.  Maybe I will post a photo of the toes along with this scarf tomorrow.

Good night, everyone.

C. A. Losi




No comments:

Post a Comment