Monday, March 26, 2012

Tutorial for Corkscrew Square



Tutorial for Corkscrew Square by Suzetta Williams of Suzies Stuff

This square is the 6 in. square for the 2012 BAMCAL group  on Ravelry.

This is a truly amazing square.  It is very 3-D, and I have to admit that while I was first hooking it, I kept thinking it was going to look horrible.  Then, I finished Round 6, and suddenly, it all became a square!  I want to thank Suzetta Williams for designing it and sharing it with us.  Please check out her other designs.  She is very very creative.

The original instructions are in black.  Anything I add for explanation will be in BLUE.

Abbreviations:
Ch = chain
Sc = Single crochet
Dc = Double crochet
Ss = Slip stitch
Bl = Back loop

Instructions:
Chain 4, join with slipstitch to form ring. 










                 (Or, make a magic loop)

 


















Round 1:
Ch 1, 16 sc in ring.









Join with ss in first sc. (16 sc)  
(if using ML, pull tail to tighten loop)


Round 1


Round 2:
Ch 12,(it is important that these chains not be too tight, and be consistent in length)







 3 sc in 2nd stitch from hook, 












3 sc in each chain (33 sc), (this will make the chain spiral)
















Sc in next 2 stitches of round 1.  











Repeat around there should be 8 spirals. 















If  your spirals are not twisting, you can "encourage" them by just twisting a bit with your fingers.
The spirals are not hard to make, but they are a bit awkward to work with.
Do NOT attach the final sc with a ss.

Round 2

Round 3:
 Ch 6, (do NOT make these tight)








slipstitch in first sc at tip (spiral should be twisted clockwise) of spiral,







ch 6 (do NOT make these tight)








slipstitch in 2 sc of round 2, 











 
repeat around, 16 chain 6 loops.



(at this point, I was thinking, ok, these spirals are cool, but what is this mess?
If I push it all flat, it looks better.  These chains help to hold the spirals in place.)

Round 3


Round 4:
Slipstitch in chains of ch 6 loop to point of spiral,








slipstitch in slipstitch at top of spiral












[chain 6 (do NOT make these tight)








slipstitch in slipstitch in point of next spiral]









repeat around  [] (8 chain 6 loops) 
(These start to hold the square shape)


Round 4

Round 5:
Sc into first chain 6 loop,










[chain 8  








sc in same loop,  (corner made)







ch 4,










sc in next loop,








ch 4 







sc  in next loop].







Repeat [ ] around. (end with sl in first sc)  (12 loops) 

Round 5

Round 6:
Slipstitch in first ch 8 loop,








(ch1 only the first time, and does not count) 9 sc in loop,








[4 sc in each ch 4 loop, 








9 sc in each ch 8 loop (corner made),] (repeat from [] around)








4 sc in each ch 4 loop, (twice) join with slipstitch in bl of 1st sc. (68 sc)








All of a sudden, the square keeps its shape.  It is like a miracle!

Round 6


Round 7:
Ch 3 (counts as first dc)








dc in bl of each sc around,








working 2 dc, ch 2, 2dc in center stitch of 9 sc for corner.








Slipstitch in top of ch 3. (80 dc)








Finished Square

This should be a 6 inch square. For a 7 inch square work another round of dc with 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc in corners slipstitch in top of ch 3 (96 dc) and fasten off.

Where in the World is f1bercat?

Today, I knit 7.01 miles in 37 minutes.  I am trying to work my way up to 40 minutes a day.  This week, I will do a minimum of 37 minutes each day, and next week, I should be up to 40.  See how I inch my way along? 
Anyway, I've reached a total of 102.16 miles knitted!  YAY!  HIP HIP HOORAY!  Really, when I started, I hoped that making myself post on the blog would keep me exercising for the shame of it if nothing else.  Now I am enjoying checking out the LYS's along the way.  I found Angora Valley Fibers


This shop sells their own kettle, hand-painted, and knit painted yarns, as well as sock knitting machines, kits, patterns, spinning wheels, and other yummy knitting equipment.  They are a family run store.  Their yarns are wonderful looking. Remember, if you stop by, say, hi, from f1bercat.

Here I am on the full map:


Enjoy the new Square.  Tomorrow I will post some multi-color photos.

yours,
f1bercat
shaping the planet one corkscrew at a time

No comments:

Post a Comment