Monday, March 5, 2012

Stitching My Way to California

Hello fellow stitchers!

I'm going to start tonight's post with a quick summary of some WIP's, a FO (finished, yes really finished!  object), and then a short Life post.

WIP's

I have been crocheting like a fiend.  I still have one square for March to finish for the 2012 Crochet Block-a-Month group on Ravelry, but I was inspired by MWitch3's blog, Needles and Hooks and Books, Oh My!  She talks about hooking a square a day for Lent, to make a Lenten blanket to give away for charity.   I decided to hook some extra squares for a baby blanket for the Sharing Our Gifts group in addition to the other baby items I am making.

So I crocheted a stack of 6 in squares using the sweet Never Fading Flower Square by Nellas April.


I am still not sure how big, or what the configuration will be, but I love this idea.

I also hooked the "filler" square for March, the  Double Treble Burst Square by Amelia Beebe.

I made 2, of course, the red, white and blue 
one for J's U of Arizona afghan:


and a navy, light blue, and white one for L's Graduation afghan: for this one I tried to "carry" the white yarn behind as I crocheted, and only used it to make the FPDT (front post double treble) stitches, so it would really look like a sunburst.  It was mostly successful.  If nothing else, I am happy that both squares look pretty different.




In addition to the baby blanket, I have started another Berry Baby Hat by Michele Sabatier, this time in blue. So it is my Blueberry Hat. This will also go the Sharing Our Gifts March project.   But, a bit more about this hat, later.  
I finished the socks I was knitting for my sister, K.  This is an unblocked photo.  I washed and blocked them, and they looked much better, I could really see the heart pattern.  I put them in the mail today.  I hope they fit.  They are really fun looking.  K teaches 3rd grade, and I hope she will wear them to school.  Who knows?  She might inspire some of her students to learn to knit their own socks.
I started 2 new pairs of socks, but I think I will write about them more in a future blog.

I am making good progress, sort of, on the sweater for Lewk.  It is getting a bit embarrassing to bring the same sweater to the  Eastside Stitchers meet up week after week.  So, today I reached the neck decreases on the front of the sweater. I plan to finish the front tomorrow, and cast on the sleeves, so I can bring them to Crossroads Mall this Wednesday.  Ok, I will still be knitting that sweater, but at least it will be a different section of it.

I have finished 9 repeats of my Princess Lace Wrap by Betsy Perry, that I am knitting along with the Beginning Lace Knitters group on Ravelry.  I was challenged by Pixiesmom to knit this shawl with her as a knitalong.  I am so happy she asked me.  It has been very fun to compare progress with her, and share our questions.  Anyway, the shawl is now looking like this:
 
I have also been looking at some crocheted toy patterns. I am hoping to make some small, quick items for my nephews/nieces/god kids for Easter.  I will keep you posted.

Life

I have a new idea that I hope I can actually do.  I used to walk every day, and post here where/how far I walked.  But, I pretty much quit walking.  And I really hate that.  So, I decided that I am going to try to make it to the Y, and ride the exercise bike.  Why the bike and not walk. treadmill, or elliptical?  I can knit while I ride an exercise bike.  Ha!  So. I brought the Blueberry Hat today, and knit it while I rode about 5.1 miles.  The hat is just round after round of stockinette in 1 color at this point, so it was a perfect choice.

As I was knitting and pedaling, I was thinking of where I would go if I was actually riding a real bike.  I have always wanted to do long distance biking, but wow, I am so out of shape that I don't know if that would ever happen.  However, I can possibly do it in a virtual way.

So I decided that I am going to try to ride the exercise bike to visit my family in Southern California.  I will keep track of how far I pedal each day, and plot it on a map.  I am not going to cheat, and go by freeway, but instead, I have looked at a route that "avoids highways."  Also, if I am staying off the highways, I thought I might as well stop at LYS's (Local Yarn Shops) on the way.  The first one I have found is at the 17 mile marker, so I should reach it on Wednesday or Thursday.  I will try to do a little post on that shop if possible  (of course that shop is so close, I can ACTUALLY and not just virtually visit it)  and I might do that for fun.

Here is where I am on the bike tonight:


Anyway, I hope you will all follow my progress down the coast as I knit (oops. I mean pedal) my way from the Seattle area to Southern California.

Have a great night.

f1bercat
Shaping the planet one blueberry hat at a time

1 comment:

  1. I honored that you mentioned me! I love the idea of using that pattern for a baby-ghan :-)

    ReplyDelete