Thursday, March 8, 2012

The One Where I Visit The Knittery

Hello!

Let me start off today's post with some Fiber!


WIP's

A Tale of 2 Socks, and another Tail

Sock 1
About 2 weeks ago, I received the second project in the Liz Marino Gift Knits Club.  You might remember the super soft glove I made last month. 

Well, this project is for Snuggly Socks.  The yarn is Crazyfoot, from Mountain Colors, in their Wilderness Colorway.  One of the many things I am enjoying about this Knitting Club is being introduced to some wonderful yarns.  I believe this company is local to Liz Marino.  I have not seen it in my LYS here in the Pacific Northwest.  And, O!  it is soft and snuggly.  I am still on the leg of the first sock, but I have to say, I love knitting with this yarn.

The yarn is variegated, as I think you can see from the photo.



 I am loving how the pattern is more than a simple rib, but not so much that the colors are lost in the pattern, or the pattern is lost in the color.  As with the gloves, I might have to keep these socks for myself.  "Gift" Club.  Ha!

Sock 2
I have started some socks for the Sock Knitters Anonymous March challenge, double dipping with Solid Socks March challenge.  The SKA challenge this month is cables or one of the featured designers.  I would love to make a pair of cabled socks, but since the Solid Socks challenge color is Brown, and I have some nice Classic Elite Yarns Summer Socks in brown, I decided to take from my stash and find a pattern by one of the featured designers that would make a nice pair of summer socks for the Doc.  I found a great pattern called, Cobblestone, by Adrienne Fong, and started a pair of socks on my Addi Turbos  in size 2, 2-at-a-Time. 


The yarn does not feel great.  This is not a dis on Classic Elite Yarns at all.  It is not even a dis on the Summer Socks Yarn.  Let's face it, cotton just does not feel as nice as wool.  The yarn is 40% Cotton, 40% Wool, and 20% Nylon.  As I knit, it feels sticky.  It is really weird.  But then, I keep fondling the cuffs, and now the legs (I am about 3 inches into the legs), and they feel much softer. I have never knit with cotton before, but I am sure that when they are washed, they will be even softer.  I love cotton fabric. So, once knitted, cotton should be soft.  Right?  Well, we shall see.  If they are not, then he doesn't have to wear them.   I still like the way the yarn feels knitted up, and I really like the pattern.

Another Tail

The Eastside Stitchers meet right next to Starbucks and Half-Price Books.  O!  the temptation.   Yes, I have been getting a skinny mocha every week.  I try hard to avoid the bookstore, but a few weeks ago I succumbed and bought a copy of Amigurumi by Lan-Anh Bui & Josephine Wan.  I crocheted my first piece today. Super easy, super quick, super cute, but...


Ok, I know I hook a bit loosely.  And I didn't use the recommended yarn... But this mouse is supposed to be about 4 in. and I got 7 1/2 in.  So it's a Mouse King.  Or a rat.  A ROUS?  I don't believe those exist.


Knitting My Way to California

Today I virtually reached The Knittery, a Yarn shop located at 601 S. Grady Way in Renton. 


The Knittery is the featured shop in the Puget Sound Local Yarn Shop Tour. I called the shop and chatted with the owner, Win.  She was very friendly, and that is how she described her shop:  "A Friendly Yarn Shop."  When I asked if they specialized in or emphasized anything particular, she told me that The Knittery has a good selection of lots of general yarns in every weight so that you can find what you need for just about any project you are working on.  They offer classes; right now a Knitter's Choice Class, with Bunny Pfister as the instructor.  This class lets you bring in any project you want, and get help on it.

There is also a spinning group. Beginners are welcome, in fact, they work hard at getting people started spinning.

So if you are near Renton, WA, drop by The Knittery. When you see Win, tell her f1bercat says, "Hello."   I hope to meet her in reality on the LYS Tour which will take place in May from the 17th to the 20th.

Where is f1bercat?

At 22.24 miles, I've made it to the airport!  I'm virtually sitting on the edge of Sea-Tac airport, watching the planes land.


And here is how far I've traveled while knitting:


Good Night, everyone.  If the sky is clear, I'm going out to try to catch the Northern Lights, which might come down this far due to the giant Solar Storm.  Looks a bit cloudy... but a cat can dream. 

f1bercat
Shaping the planet one giant rodent at a time


2 comments:

  1. I have two pairs of socks I knit out of a cotton blend yarn. I don't really care for them, either.

    I have reconciled them to the "bad socks for bad jobs" category. They are what I wear when I'm going to be working in the mud or brush, where I wouldn't want to risk a pair of socks I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is definitely a ROUS :) Don't worry, once you get the hang of making amis, it will come super easily!

    ReplyDelete