Saturday, March 1, 2014

Hats Off

Hello:

I've been working on some hats this month.  The first two are newborn hats for the Shaken Baby charity.  I took the stitch pattern from the last baby blanket square (pattern 4) from the 2014 Mystery Blanket KAL I am doing with a bunch of people in Gryffindor.  I love how chunky this ribbing looks.  It reminds me of corrugated metal.

I worked the stitch pattern into the round, then came up with two different tops.  The first one is a simple swirl top.
For the second hat, I did a more complicated decrease pattern. 

I'm not sure which I like better.  I hope to write this pattern up with both of the tops.  It is very stretchy, and would make a nice adult hat, too, especially for a boy or man.

I also finished my test knit for the Eastside Hat designed by Vanesa Polo.  This hat pattern will be handed out during Vogue Knitting Live Seattle/Bellevue at the Eastside Knitters Guild Booth.
The pattern is very well written and easy to follow.  My hat came out a bit big, but not because of the pattern.  I knit quite a few extra rounds of the ribbing.  I wanted a large hat because I hope to give it to my nephew.  I gave him a hat at Christmas, but it was way too small.  He had to pass it on to his little sister.  He was due another hat, and much bigger this time.  If this hat is just way too big, he can always fold up the brim!
I love the cable pattern on this hat.  I used Black Water Abbey Yarn that I bought at Madrona.  It is a big rough... ok, it feels a bit like a scouring pad, but I am hoping with washing, it will soften.

I am almost finished with the 2nd pair of socks for my brother.  All I need to do is kitchener the toes.  I am headed down to So. Cal tomorrow morning to stay with him for about a week.  I need to get those toes sewed together.

I will report here on how he and the family are doing.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with a warm head.




No comments:

Post a Comment