Monday, March 3, 2014

Car Thief

Hello from Southern California:

My brother's internet is horrible.  I'm always saying, "I'll try to post, but the internet is so slow, I'm not sure if I will be able to... " and so on.

This morning there was a power outage at about 9 am and the internet went, too.  But the internet dying wasn't actually part of the power outage, it was in addition to it.

One of my students had a paper due today at 11 am.  We worked on it last week, and it was in pretty good shape.  Yesterday, I received a frantic text from her.  Somehow she had deleted the entire thing.  She sent me a truncated version based on what she remembered, and screamed for help.

I was able to read it, and then give her a list of things that I remembered she had addressed in the original paper.  For instance:  1. you need a sentence here explaining why this is important.  2. you need at least 2 sentences explaining why this is a good example of the topic.  And so on.  She rewrote the paper and sent it to me.  Right before 9 am, I finished editing it for her and was actually in the process of attaching it to an email when the internet and power failed. 

I got into my car and headed for the nearest Starbucks. The traffic lights were out on the way, but not near the coffee shop.  I actually sat in my car, logged onto their wifi, and sent her the edited paper.  ha ha ha ha ha  Thank goodness!  and Thank you, Howard Schultz.  Then, I went in to use the restroom before heading home.

When I got back to my sister-in-law's car, I unlocked the door with the electronic key, then tried to open the door.  THE CAR ALARM WENT OFF!  ratz!  I thought, I have accidentally hit the alarm button instead of the unlock button as they are close to each other. I hit the open button over and over but the alarm wouldn't go off.  And the door wouldn't open.  I then tried to turn off the alarm by hitting the alarm button.  A second car alarm went off!  and it was for the car next to the one I was trying to open.  OOPS!  That car was my sister-in-law's car.

I got inside and drove off carefully so as not to attract the attention of any police who were coming to see who was trying to steal the first car.  Too bad the State of Washington has my fingerprints on file (background check for all teachers).  If they dust the handles, they will be able to identify me as the attempted car thief.

All cars look the same to me.  Except for maybe DeLoreans.


Oh, and I went out, bought and installed a new higher power router.  Let's see if things move faster on-line here...

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet from outside a jail cell...

No comments:

Post a Comment