Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Sock Madness 2014 Round 1

Hello:

I am still in Southern California, helping at my brother's house. 

Since it is March, it is time for Sock Madness, the speed sock knitting competition that is based on the NCAA Basketball tournament, March Madness.  I knew there was a good chance that the first stage would begin while I was down here, well I knew it would begin, not just a good chance.  Before I left, the specs for this first sock were posted in the Sock Madness group.  That means that the pattern would be available within 48 hours. 

I brought some Regia Yarn down in a lovely cranberry red.
I bought this yarn last summer when I decided that I wanted to test knit some Regia.  I have heard this yarn mentioned as a good sock yarn and I wanted to see if it measured up.  It is not expensive, though I have forgotten what this cost.  I do love the color.

The pattern is called "Brucie" after the shark in the animated movie, Finding Nemo.  I have two weeks to finish the pair if I want to be placed on a team.  The yarn is a pretty fine gauge of fingering, so I am using size 0 US needles to get a decent fabric.  I hope I can finish in time.

So far I have the ribbing
and have almost finished the first pattern, which is Shark Attack!
This photo shows the first repeat.

When I was half-way through this pattern, disaster struck.
The needle broke off the cable.  These are or well, were, my size 0 Chiao Goo Red Cable Lace Needles.  I bought them last year at Madrona.  I have knit just about every pair of socks since then with these needles. 

I am so glad that I bought another size 0 at Madrona this year.  You might remember that I had to wrestle Franklin Habit for them.  Thank goodness I won.  I brought both needles down with me just in case the pattern was not a good match with knitting 2-at-a-time.  I will need to contact ChaioGoo when I get home and see if they will replace my broken needle.  I dropped one side of all the stitches on both socks, but I think I picked them all up correctly, and have knitted on.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with shark socks.





No comments:

Post a Comment