Saturday, January 18, 2014

Two of Us: Fiber Friday

LOOK!  Spring is coming!

I often walk into and out of our house by the side door, rather than through the front door.  This is because I park on that side of the driveway, and also, when the kids were little, we used that door to minimize the mess in the front hallway. It became habit.  Over the last weekend, when it was so windy, one of the large laurel bushes that divide our yard from the uphill neighbors' blew/fell over into our yard.  I can't go into the whole history of these bushes, other than to say that there once was a row of old growth trees behind and among these bushes also providing a screen between our yards, but the "new" neighbors cut them all down.  They have never trimmed the bushes, although once a year, we cut back the side that hangs over into our yard.  Anyway, when this one bush/tree (they are quite big and all wood right now as their leaves fall in Autumn) fell over, it stretched from the ground to our roof, blocking passage from the kitchen door to the driveway, and I had to remember to enter and leave the house that way.  Ha ha ha ha this is all a very long way to say that I when I was walking out yesterday, I noticed that my bulbs were starting to coming up!  These are mostly daffodils and a few tulips.  I can't wait to see them.

I feel like Garrison Keeler as I write about Fiber Friday yesterday:  It was a quiet day in Lake Wobegon, wait!  It was a quiet morning for Eastside Stitchers.

I got to Crossroads at about 9:30 and Constance49 showed up at about 10:30.  I was able to make huge progress on a bib for a HPKCHC class.  Sorry no photos, yet.  It is always fun to have a table for two.  Connie and I had a great time talking about the Eastside Knitters Guild.  I have been a member of the guild for a little over two years, but Connie has been in the Guild for a much longer time.  The January meeting for the Guild is Monday, January 27 from 6:30 - 8:30 at Crossroads in the Meeting room.  At the meeting, we will elect officers, discuss possible charities to support, and what programs/speakers/classes we would like for the next year.  Since I joined the guild, I have loved the classes on techniques they have provided.  Most of these are taught by ESKG members who are in the Master Knitters Program, and they do an excellent job.  But, the Guild membership has gotten progressively smaller.  I would love to see the Guild grow over the next year so we can afford to have more speakers.  We need to do a better outreach program to knitters who are on the Eastside and are looking for a Guild experience, and not just a group to hang out and knit with.  It would be amazing if we could coordinate with some of the other Guilds in our area such as the Seattle Knitters Guild or the Snohomish Knitters Guild.

Enough chatter, I need to show you the lovely shawl that Constance49 was knitting:
It is so simple and yet so lovely, with alternating panels of stockinette and garter stitch.  The stockinette is done on a large size needle, like an 8 US, and the garter stitch in a smaller needle size (maybe a 4 US).  The yarn is a kid mohair.  The shawl is light, but will be so warm.

I need to kitchener the toes of my Lady Igraine Socks and figure out the decorative crochet button closures, and then sew some project bags that I cut out two weeks ago.  Tomorrow, a new Quidditch Game begins and I will attempt to crochet a hat in one day.  I will be doing that while watching the Seattle Seahawks play San Francisco 49'ers in the game that decides which teams go to the Superbowl.  I feel like I am such bad luck when I watch football on TV, but I really want to see the game.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with Guild Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment