Monday, January 20, 2014

Finished my Bleeping Socks

Hello:

I finished the Lady Igraine socks I was knitting for the Bleeping SockGames group in Ravelry. I love the yarn, it was given to me by our Eastside Stitchers Mamas.  It is Sweet Georgia Tough Love Sock in Coastal.  I was laughing today as I realized that I just finished knitting my Racing Raindrops scarf which is almost the exact same color.

These socks are pretty much just ribbed, but the leg part is knitted flat, then you crochet on straps with a crochet loop to hook around buttons for the closure.
The pretty loops on the right side are decorative.  The loops at the left of this sock are for the buttons.  I decided that the buttons might not keep the socks closed, so I sewed my socks closed after I had hooked on the straps and frogs.  I love how they fit.  I am wearing them as I type!
I am working on a pair of socks for my brother.  I am using worsted weight yarn.  Since he doesn't wear shoes, it doesn't matter if the socks are a bit thick.  I am using Berroco Vintage and the pattern Entirely Natural from Sock Knitters Workshop.  These socks are supposed to be knit top down, but I am knitting them toe up as I wasn't sure how many stitches to cast on for the right width.  I had my kids make cardboard tracings of their feet and I am using Himes's as the model for my brother's foot, as Himes has huge feet, too.  By knitting toe up, I could measure the sock on the cardboard foot and stop the increases when I got to the right width.
I used the Fish Lips Kiss Heel method of wrapping and turning for the short row heels I made.  I am already knitting up the legs.  The yarn is a mix of wool and acrylic and should be soft and comfortable and warm, as well as easy to take care of.

Tomorrow night, I am giving a lecture at the Univ. of Washington on Writing Poetry for Children.  I am looking forward to it.  I have given this lecture many times for the Writing For Children class that is offered through the UW Extension.  Let's hope my power point works!

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with a new pair of socks and a scarf.



No comments:

Post a Comment