Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Quick Post about a Lap-ghan

Hello:

I finished the last big square for a Lap-ghan I am making to donate to the Interlake High School Booster Club Auction. 

I started this lap-ghan in September as part of a Quidditch Game.  I had to make 6 things over 2 months that used 150 yds or more of yarn.  I made 5 squares and my Happypotamus.

This last big square will be a "class assignment" turn in.  I need to hook the squares together and then hook a border.  I have also made some 5" squares that I was possibly going to use to either make the lap-ghan wider or longer if needed.

I have never made a smaller afghan like this, so I was not sure what dimensions would be appropriate.  I posted a question in the 2014BAMCAL group asking for suggestions and one of the wonderful moderators there gave me a link to their Quick Reference Guide.  They have links there to all kinds of helpful sites and one of them gives dimensions for most afghans.

The suggested dimensions for a lap-ghan are 36 x 48 in.  I was hoping this could be used at outdoor sporting events.  You don't want to bring a big blanket, but your legs might get cold at a football game.  Since each square is 15", with no borders, and if I simply hook the squares together, my lap-ghan will be 30 " x 45".  I think I will hook the squares into two rows of 3 squares each, then add 2" inches along the rows so when I hook them together, the lap-ghan will be about 33 in wide.  That way, I can make a 3 in. border all around, and I will have the right dimensions.

The auction is in March, so I have some time to finish this all up.  I will probably get it mostly finished, and then turn it in for "detention" February 1.

I have also been working on my KAL socks, Lady Igraine, for the Bleeping SockGames.I am about half way finished with legs.  These socks have button closures so the legs are knitted flat. 

The last thing I worked on today is my blanket square for the 2014 Sampler Mystery Knit-a-long.  The pattern calls for a 6" square.  I doubled mine and it is coming out at about 15"!  I don't have a photo for tonight because I have been busy knitting and I didn't stop to take photos while there was still light.

I plan/hope to remake this same square in the 6" size for a second blanket.

Peace,

f1bercat
shaping the planet with blanket squares!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment