Monday, January 13, 2014

It takes a knitter ...

Hello:

There is something wonderful about coming home from work (eek!  work) and finding a package with stickers on it in my mail box.  And inside that package was another afghan square for my Weasley Afghan.

I hope we keep this exchange going in 2014.  It was probably a nightmare to moderate, but it was one of my favorites from last year.

I substituted for a History teacher today.  In the study hall, one of the girls brought out a ball of yarn and a circular needle.  She proceeded to cast on a hat.  She wasn't sure how to join it in the round, or what "Place Marker" meant, so I helped with that.  She had the next class with me, as well, and as that class began, I noticed the girl sitting next to her checking out the knitting.  Then that girl looked up at me and asked,"Did you knit your scarf?"  of course, I was wearing my Age of Brass and Steam, since it is my new favorite accessory.  I said, "yes." And, she said, "It is so pretty."  Then, she got out her knitting.  Ha ha ha, it takes a knitter to recognize and comment on hand knits!

I also wanted to show you the wonderful sock project bag that Skeinherder made for me.  We are  both participating in the Bleeping SocksGames.  She found some perfect fabric at Ben Franklins, and decided to make us Gamer Sock Project bags:
Pac Man!

Last night I stayed up past midnight finishing the heel turns on my Lady Igraine socks.  Right as I was getting ready to stop, I realized that I had knit the heel on one of the socks on the wrong side.  I am knitting my socks 2-at-a-time.  The legs of these socks are knit flat, and they are joined right at the beginning of the heel flap.  There is a definite left and a definite right sock.  There will be buttons and straps with decorative frog  closures that are supposed to remind us of the jacket worn by the Game Character, Lady Igraine.  Ugh.  I somehow had the opening for both socks on the same side. Anyway.  I frogged one of the heels, and picked it back up on a different circular needle. At the school today, I was able to get the students going on their assignment, and knit as I walked up and down the rows checking on their progress.  I even answered a few questions about the Checks and Balances in the US Constitution while knitting the heel turn.  I have  both socks back on the same circular, now, and am knitting the gusset decreases.  My goal is to have these finished by tomorrow night, or the 15th at the latest.  It will probably be the 15th as I still have to figure out how to do the decorative closures.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with gifts and a compliment.





No comments:

Post a Comment