Thursday, January 9, 2014

No Eastside Stitchers for Me (sob sob)

Hello:

Ugh!  Working stinks.  Even when you can knit during work, it stinks.  Tonight I had to stay home and miss the Wednesday meet up of the Eastside Stitchers because I had a "webinar" training session for a short term job I am hoping to do.  The training was supposed to take two hours, from 5 - 7 pm.  Since the Eastside Stitchers usually meet at Crossroads from 5 pm - 9 pm, I figured that I would run up after the training meeting for the last two hours.  But, the meet ran over, and wasn't finished until almost 8 pm.  The only good thing about it was that since I was on audio, I could knit through the meeting.  But that isn't the same as getting together with your buddies to knit.

Anyway, today I worked on basically two projects.  Um, now that I've written that, I realized that I worked on four projects.  The first one is spinning.  I have been spinning every morning this week on some beautiful wool fiber that SkeinHerder gave me.  It is lovely green, blue and a bit of neon yellow.  I hope to spin three spools worth and try a 3-ply.  If I don't get enough, I will do a 2-ply.  I am still very uneven, but I am having fun, and spinning every day can only improve the evenness.

The second project I worked on was my Racing Raindrops scarf.  I am almost finished, and should really just finish the thing.  I have about 8 g left of the skein.  I hope to use it all up, though that might make an asymmetrical scarf.  I don't mind.

The two projects that I have photos for are a quick newborn hat that I made for the first Quidditch Game.  I used the pattern Emma's First Hat by VanesaPolo.  This is a great little ribbed hat for a baby.  Because it is ribbed, and very stretchy, it can be worn for a longer time than most newborn hats.

I have also been knitting my Lady Igraine socks.  I have made it to the heels and about half way finished with the first heel flap.  No photos of that yet, because I was working on it tonight, and I will wait for better light.

I took my Age of Brass and Steam off the blocking mats this morning (after shooing Beena off the scarf) and wove in the ends. 
I had hoped to wear it to Crossroads tonight, to show it off.  I will have to wear it on Friday and Sunday and next Wednesday.
That's all for today.  I have started another square, well it's the same pattern but a second square of that pattern, of the 2014 Mystery KAL.  I think I will make at least 2 of each pattern.  I have to make gifts for two babies that are due in May and June.  I like this first pattern, but knitting acrylic is tough on my wrist.  Crocheting with acrylic is much easier.

OOOOO! I almost forgot.  Writing about acrylic above reminded me.  I am making a baby mermaid costume for one of those babies due this May.  My godson's bride emailed me a photo of a baby in a crocheted mermaid costume and asked if I could make something like that.  Well, Alphabetadell has made just that project, and she told me what pattern she used.  I stopped at Jo'Ann's for some coordinating colors.  The tail is knit with two worsted weight yarns held together.  At the check out, the woman working looked at my yarn and said, "That would make a perfect mermaid tail!"  I looked at her and said, "I AM going to make a mermaid tail with this yarn."  She looked very surprised and asked, "Really?  wow, I am going to make a mermaid tail for a friend's baby, and I hadn't decided what yarn combination to use, but yours looks perfect."  Ha ha ha!  I'm glad she thought my yarn choices look like a mermaid's tail.  I plan to use Caron Simply Soft Paint in blues and greens.
I will also use Caron Simply Soft Party in Turquoise.

You can't see it in the photo, but the Party yarn has sparkles all through it.  This should be a fun project.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with a finished scarf


No comments:

Post a Comment