Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Pamina

Hello!

It is so windy tonight!  A bit scary with our tall trees. 

I am busy trying to get a ton of projects in some type of finished state.  I didn't finish my December socks for SKA and SolidSocks, but, since SKA gives you 2 months, I can still submit them for the prize drawing if I am finished by December 31.

I have finished turning the heels, and am ready to start the gusset and heel decreases.  These are toe up, as I am using up 2 partial skeins of yarn and didn't want to run out.

I don't have any new photos, just the ones I took last December when I realized they were way too small, and I had to frog back the heels and increase 2 more inches on the feet.
This has been a really fun knit.  I am writing the pattern myself, and it's pretty simple, but I think interesting enough that I'm not bored.  Once I have gotten above where shoes might hit, I will start adding beads.  The December SKA challenge (well one of them) is beads.  SolidSocks is blue for Dec.  Which I am a bit bummed that I didn't finish on time for, but I am not at all bummed that I will still have some socks from this gorgeous yarn.

I already posted photos of 2 of the afghan squares I have finished so far this month.  I also made one more tiny afghan square, of my own design.  If you can't tell, my big New Year's Resolution this year is to Design.  This is the first square for a Baby Afghan:
I'm calling this square "Year of the Boar."

The other project that I have made some progress on is my January socks.  I am doing the designer challenge for SKA, and am knitting Pamina by Caoua Coffee.   These are so detailed, so intricate, so twisted cabled, that it is taking me forever to do one row.  I am again using 2 partial skeins, the SolidSocks challenge is for yellow, so I am using up my Miss Babs Yummy Superwash Sock Yarn in Squash Blossom.  I get so many compliments for the first pair of socks I made with this yarn.  I'm a bit nervous that I will run out, as I have big feet, so I might do shorter legs.  The pattern calls for 3.75 repeats of the pattern before starting the heels, and I might take out one of them.  I will have to see how short that makes them in the leg.

Anyway, here is what the cuff and 1/2 of the first repeat looks like:
I'm knitting them 2 at a time, and that is working ok.  There are a few rows where you have to move stitches, so I am putting the moving stitch on a locking stitch marker, dropping it from the needle, and picking it up when I come around the sock.  It is working great, and the designer, thoughtfully warns you 1 row ahead that this is happening, so I haven't had to slide stitches around because I forgot to do it.

Peace.
Yours,

f1bercat
shaping the planet with yellow sock cuffs.





No comments:

Post a Comment