Monday, January 7, 2013

FO and a Wheel

Hello!

Big news!  I attended the Northwest Regional Spinners Association St. Distaff's Day Spin In, and I bought a used Ashford Traditional Wheel.  There were so many wheels there to try, it was just confusing to me.  I decided that I need to get the feel of spinning, then I can  buy the wheel of my dreams.  Until then, this Old Lady, will be great fun.  She was certainly the right price.

I also wanted to post the photos of my first finished afghan from last year's (2012BAMCAL) Block a Month Crochet A Long.


I frantically sewed it together, well, really hooked it, on Friday, Saturday night, and Sunday morning, so Himes could take it back to the Univ. of Arizona with him when he left Sunday afternoon.  He loves it.

I have started the 2013BAMCAL.  This year I plan/hope to make 2 afghans again, but I will make one the first half of the year, and the other the second.  They aren't going to be quite as large as this Queen Size one.  I still have to hook together the 2nd one from last year for Pookie.  That is one of the things I learned from last year's experience:

1. MAKE ALL OF THE SQUARES THE SAME SIZE!  No fudging.  If they aren't, either add a round or rip back.

2. SEW AS YOU GO!  I plan to hook everything together as I go, because waiting to sew it all at the end was crazy.  I kept thinking that there would be some method to the laying out of the squares, but that didn't happen.  And it doesn't really matter with a sampler afghan.

I will probably not make any solid colors, or if I do, since I am hooking as I go, I will be able to see which colors to use or emphasize.  I am making this new afghan for my nephew, A, and his lovely bride, S,  for their first wedding anniversary in June.  I hope to get 20 - 24 squares. 

These are the squares for January. 

The yarn is Caron One Pound (it's cheap and you can wash it easily).  The 3 colors are:  Espresso, Taupe, and Off White.

I am not sure if I will be able to do tutorials and round photos.  I pm'd the designer of the 6 in (not pictured) for permission, and have not heard back.  We shall see.

Peace.
Yours,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with a  brand new spinning wheel!


No comments:

Post a Comment