Saturday, January 19, 2013

ANOTHER ANOTHER Knot in Vanna's Choice Yarn

Hello,

More fog.  When will it end?  Sometimes I feel like I'm in a post-apocolyptic movie...

Vanna's Choice by Lion Brand


I don't like to write negative things.  Normally, I just don't discuss a product, show, book, etc. if I don't like it.  This is something most Children's book reviewers do.  Or don't do.  I mean, they are sent many many many more books than they have time or space to review.  If they don't like the book, they write nothing.  They don't mention it at all.  When you have limited space, why waste it on bad writing?   This makes sense to me.  Also, I hate to hurt people's feelings.  Ok, little chance what I write in this blog will get out very far, but still. 

This morning I was all set to write a glowing post about Vanna's Choice by Lion Brand.  I usually go with pretty cheap acrylic when hooking afghans, because acrylic = cheap.  I figured that "Vanna's Choice"  ?  really?  a Celebrity Acrylic Yarn?  How ridiculous.  Also, I hate brands named for people.  Call me an anti-consumeristic rebel.

Or something like that.

Anyway, I am using Vanna's Choice for my Transfiguration OWL afghan for HPKCHC.  The afghan where I am using the beautiful Eight Pointed Flower Square by Julie Yeager.  I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I love the feel of this yarn.  It is soft and squishy.  Yes, it is.  The colors are deep.  It is a bit splitty, and I have to watch for that, but otherwise, it is hooking up soft, squishy, lovely squares.

Then, as I was hooking my 6th square this morning, I found a knot in a beige ball.

Ok, that wasn't a horrible problem.  But, I thought, really?  I mean, it's acrylic.  It's not like they are dealing with a natural fiber that has a staple length.  Can't each piece of yarn be a set amount?  Like, long enough to fill an entire ball for sale?  I guess I don't know enough about how acrylic yarn is made.  But I just cut the yarn at the knot, and went on.  I had just finished 1 round of single crochet with chains ... well it's in this clever pattern, the place where you turn the flower into a square.  I needed 2 rounds of half double crochet (hdc) in beige, before I changed color again, for the complicated color scheme I am using.
Back to the yarn.  I am cutting the yarn at the end of each round anyway, because I have become obsessed at trying to make my joins completely invisible.  It wasn't so bad that I had to cut the yarn there.  I started the first hdc round and found ANOTHER KNOT! 


Really?  2 knots that close together?  What was the point of connecting such a small piece?  They couldn't just connect a L-O-N-G piece with the first knot?  As I was in the middle of the round, I just kept hooking, hoping the knot would be invisible at the back of the square.  I finished that round (invisibly, I might add), and started the last hdc round.  Oh Dear!  ANOTHER ANOTHER KNOT!


 So, someone had the cheap idea to just tie in 2 very small pieces of yarn to this ball.  This is not $50 yarn.  But it is not the cheapest acrylic, either.  The ball was not sold as a "second"  or "mill end."


I have had good luck with Lion's Brand Yarns.  They have many choices that are reasonably priced and decent quality.  I am ridiculously saddened by this.  I thought I had made a GREAT find.  I love to make afghans, and I was willing to pay the bit more for softer squishier... better acrylic!

I stopped after the last knotty round. 
I have been trying, with this afghan, to have a back as beautiful as the front.  Should I just rip these rounds back and throw the yarn out?  I will have to buy another ball for sure.  UGH!

Peace.
yours,
f1bercat
taking a deep breath and trying to put the fact that her yarn has 3 knots in one ball in perspective... I mean no one is sick, or worse.  It's just yarn.... sob.






4 comments:

  1. Crazy! VC is my "go-to" yarn and I think I've had a total of 2 knots the whole time I've been using it. I would write Lion Brand and let them know.. Unfortunately it sounds like you just got a bum ball. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had the same problem with Vanna's Choice sea spray mist. 3 knots right in a row for very small pieces of yarn. I won't be buying Vanna's Choice or Lion Brand Yarn again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi F1bercat - I would write to Lion Brand; they will probably send you another skein. I am a big user of VC and this does happen but it is very rare. Thanks for all the nice words about my patterns. :)

    Julie Yeager

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm knitting with Vanna's Choice yarn and this is the second skein I've found knots in. :( Apparently they just think it is acceptable.

    ReplyDelete