Saturday, April 21, 2012

Schoharie Spring 12 in Square Photo Rounds




These are the photos of the finished rounds of the SchoharieSpring 12 in Square by designer Mary McKnight. This square is the 12 in "filler" square for April for the 2012BAMCAL Group on Ravelry.  This very cool square was published in FroggieDezines.  I would like to thank Mary McKnight for designing this square, and for making the pattern free.  I wondered about the name, "Schoharie,"  so I Binged it and it is the name of a county and town in New York State.

I will not put any of the instructions in this post unless I find something confusing or I feel the need to change something to make my square work for me.  If there are no changes, I will write "as written," meaning that I simply hooked the round as it was written.  If you are confused, have a question about a round, or a correction, please leave a comment, and I will fix, change or add to this post.

I made 2 squares, with very different color changes.  I will post the 2nd one in a different blog post because it would make today's post way too long. 

I am using Caron One Pound yarn which is a worsted (size 4) weight yarn, and a size H (5.0mm) hook

Made ring as written
Ring

Round 1
ch 1  continue as written (16 sc)
Round 1

Round 2
ch 1 continue as written (8 ch 5 loops)
Round 2

Round 3
ch 1 continue as written (24 sc, 8 ch 4 spaces)
Round 3

Round 4
ch 1 make first sc in NEXT sc, place marker to show start of round









continue as written, ss in first sc. (32 sc, 8 ch 4 spaces)

Round 4

Round 5
ch 1 sc in NEXT sc, continue as written, ss in first sc
(40 sc, 8 ch 4 spaces)

Round 6
ch 1 sc in NEXT sc, continue as written, ss in first sc
(48 sc, 8 ch 4 spaces)
Round 6

Round 7
ch 1, continue as written, ss in first sc
(56 sc, 8 ch 2 spaces)


Round 8
as written, the directions say to sc IN the chains, not the chain space, but I don't think it matters.
Each section should have 9 sc  (72 sc)
Round 8

Round 9
as written
I cut yarn to change color here
(84 stitches.  On each side 10 dc, 6 hdc, 5 sc. 4 ch 3 spaces in corners)

Round 9

Round 10
I attached new color in corner space
continue as written
(each side has 18 dc, and 7 fptr for 100 stitches and 4 ch 3 corner spaces)


Round 11
as written 
(29 hdc on each side for 116 hdc and 4 ch 3 corner spaces)


Round 12
as written  
I cut yarn for color change here
(18 dc, 15 ch 1 spaces on each side, for 72 dc and 4 ch 3 corner spaces)
Round 12

Round 13
I attached new color in corner ch 3 space.  
as written
(21 dc, 18 ch 1 spaces on each side, for 84 dc and 4 ch 3 corner spaces)

Round 13

Round 14
as written
(22 dc,  19 ch 1 spaces on each side, for 88 dc and 4 ch 3 corner spaces)  Ok, I found it weird that it went from 21 to 22 and I can't account for it.  But, I double counted and triple counted, and this is my stitch count.  As long as you have a consistent count on each side, I think you are ok.

I measured my square here and was at 12 in.  I tend to crochet loosely, and used the recommended size needle.  I ripped the square back at this point.  I don't know why I didn't just go down a hook to start with.  That is what I usually do.  So I rehooked this round using hdc.  

Starting with ch 2 counting as the first hdc.
Round 14


Round 15 Final Round
Since I was already at 12 in, I did sc instead of hdc.
Other than that, I finished the round as written, starting with ch1 sc in same stitch.
That gave me about 12.3 in. 

Round 15 Finished Square

 My daughter, S, told me the square looks like one of the "bending" symbols from the television show, Avatar, the Last Air Bender.  It was a great show.  You can watch it on Netflix, or the sequel The Legend of Korra on Nickelodeon.


 I'm sorry I am posting this with some missing photos.  I honestly do not know how I missed photographing those 2 rounds.  I will try to rehook this square over the weekend and update this post.  I just want to get something out tonight.  Hope it does not cause any confusion.


I rehooked the missing Rounds and added the photos.  Hope that wasn't confusing for anyone.

Yours,
f1bercat
shaping the planet 2 missing photos at a time


No comments:

Post a Comment