Monday, April 23, 2012

Back On The Bike!

2012.04.23

Eastside Knitters Guild

The EKG met for our regular monthly meeting tonight at Crossroads Mall, in Bellevue, WA.

Tonight, we had the knitwear designer, Andrea Rangel, of Andrea Rangel Knits as a speaker.  She had a slide show, and brought many samples of her very different designs.  She does do socks, and scarves, and hats, BUT, not the usual.  And, she designs clothes, and clothes that you might not think of knitting.  For instance, she brought 2 pairs of knit pants, and a pair of shorts.

It was really interesting listening to her talk about how she gets her ideas and inspiration, then her process of developing the pattern.  She was very generous with her information, citing the computer programs she uses, and blogs/webpages that she has found useful. 

This is one of the things that I have seen again and again in the fiber world, this generosity of spirit.  You might have figured out that I am a children's writer.  In the writing world, you hear stories of people being very tight with their ideas, and expertise, always worried that someone might get the jump on them.  This is not at all true in Children's publishing.  Children's book writers and illustrators are extremely helpful and generous.  It is a group that shares information, helps each other, and is genuinely happy for the success of others.  I am so happy to see this same generosity in the knit/crochet community.  People are so happy to help others get started. 

I didn't take any photos, and I'm sorry for that.  Her work is beautiful.  Please take the time to visit her site and see her designs.
 

Where in the World is f1bercat?

Woot!  I made it to the Y today for the first time in 2 weeks.  I wasn't 100% by any means, in fact I only knit/rode the bike for 20 minutes. But, it is a beginning.  I had hoped to do about 30 minutes, but at 12 minutes my head started to pound, and it was all I could do to stay knitting for 20.  And I only knit 3.62 miles, but I did it.

So where did that get me on my trip south to California?  HOORAY!  I have crossed the border into Oregon!


View Larger Map

I am on my way to visiting my first Oregon LYS (Local Yarn Store), but did not quite reach it.  I should be back in yarn tomorrow.

This is what my trip looks like so far:


View Larger Map

And here is where I am on the big map:


View Larger Map

I plan to take it super slowly and carefully on the bike this week.  I do NOT want to have a relapse of this flu.  But, it is good to be getting some exercise.

What was I knitting?  The Fish Hat Dead or Alive by Thelma Eberts that I am making as a wedding gift for my nephew, A, who is getting married this summer.  I am still on the "lips" which is the very beginning of the hat, so it was super easy knitting in the round.


No comments:

Post a Comment