Monday, April 2, 2012

Cascarones!



Today I made cascarones, or my version of these special eggs, for Easter gifts.  We used to make and throw these hollow eggs, which are traditionally filled with confetti, during Cinco de Mayo celebrations when we lived in Santa Monica.  I think they make wonderful Easter gifts, especially, since instead of confetti, I fill them with bird seed.

This is how I made them:

Step 1
With a sharp knife (or a needle) make a small hole in one end of a raw egg. 








Step 2
Make a larger hole on the other side of the raw egg, Use the knife, or a needle, to pierce the yolk membrane inside the egg, then carefully blow out the egg into a bowl. You can use these eggs for cooking.







Step 3
Wash the eggshells inside and out and let dry.  I started "blowing" eggs 6 weeks ago when Lent began.








Step 4
Make dye.  I used food coloring (about 10 drops), about 1 tablespoon of white vinegar,


















and about 1/2 cup of boiling water.  If you look closely at my cups, you can see they melted a bit!







Usually I use coffee cups for this, but I wanted something clear so the photos would look good. When the water cooled, I added the eggs.








The longer you let them sit, the darker the colors.  I rolled them around in the dye a bit to color all sides.  Set them back in the carton to dry completely.






Step 5
Fill the eggs with bird seed.









I have tried to use a funnel for this step, but it just clogs up.  The best way is just to use a spoon.  You can make the hole larger if you need to.  But, by just scooping up the seed, and pouring again and again, the egg fills up.






Step 6
If you made large holes










you can make a sugar-water solution to use as a paste, and dip some tissue paper in the paste, and "paste" it over the hole.





Crack them over people's heads!  Outside, of course.


Where in the World is f1bercat?

When I woke up this morning, I did NOT want to go to the Y.  Thank goodness I am blogging about this trip, or I would have stopped after the second day.

I did go, and once I started knitting, I mean riding, I felt much better.  I knit another 8 miles today.  It only took me 36 minutes.  I am getting faster.  My next challenge is to knit 8.25 miles.

So, where am I?


View Larger Map



You guessed it, stuck on the side of the road, again. 

This puts me at 140.03 miles.  Wow.

Well, good night.

Yours,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with one broken cascarone at a time












No comments:

Post a Comment