Thursday, October 3, 2013

Headless, Heartless, yet, Happy Hippo

Hello:

I wanted to show you the progress I have made on my crochet hippo. The pattern is called, Happypotamus, The Happy Hippo Crochet Pattern. by Heidi Bears.  I am not kidding about the name. That being said, the pattern is a genius of geometric construction.

The whole thing is crocheted geometric shapes:  pentagons, hexagons, octagons, etc.  You hook them together with an as-you-go method.

This is how far I have gotten:
This is a somewhat squashed side view:
I am using all yarn from stash, so the colors are a bit crazy.

You can clearly see septagon (7 sided)some hexagons (6 sided) and some pentagons (5 sided) shapes. 

Here is the Hippo standing up:
I haven't added any stuffing.  He is sturdy enough that he can stand up unstuffed.  He is a good size.  The pattern calls for fingering weight yarn, but I am using worsted weight and a size D crochet hook.

This is the top of the back looking straight down:
And here he is from the front.  You can see his headless state, and well, his heartlessness, too.
I rather like how big he is.

Hope to finish him up this coming week.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with parts of a Hippo.



No comments:

Post a Comment