Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Eastside Stitchers Talk Crochet

Hello:

Eastside Stitchers met tonight at Crossroads Mall.   The weather has been really cold for the Pacific Northwest in September, and now early October.

There is snow in the Cascades already.
We had the best summer in more than two generations followed by the rainiest September in recorded history.  And, it is cold.

Perfect knitting weather.

Skeinherder and I got to the round table near Half-Price Books and Starbucks just a bit before VanesaPolo showed up.  I'm trying to make some October Stitch Markers as rewards and thank-yous for my Acid Pops Pride in HPKCHC.   I stopped at the Jo-Ann's that is conveniently near where we sit to get some Crochet Thread (size 10) in Black and Orange.  They had the black, but no orange!  What? so near to Halloween? 

I decided to make some little spiders as the stitch markers.  I have finished the cuffs on my October socks and am ready to start the pattern, but these socks are NOT a good social knitting project.  I could have worked on my headless Hippo, or one of the afghan squares, but these require at least 3 skeins of yarn, and are not really that portable, either.  I needed something easy, thus the stitch markers.  I tried a few times to make something small enough to be a stitch marker, that still resembled a spider, and well, VanesaPolo and Skeinherder did not think my attempts looked much like spiders, though Skeinherder took one as an ankle bracelet.
Ha ha ha ha ha, does it look like a spider on her ankle?

Anyway, we did more than just laugh at my spider attempts.

MsWiz brought a sweater she is knitting in Madelinetosh.  Or trying to knit?  Or knit, rip, knit, rip, knit, rip?


I'm not sure she actually made any progress on the sweater, but it was wonderful to have her back at stitch night!

Anerenbe has made some progress on her Linen Stitch scarf.  You can actually see the stitch pattern, now.
Chockelet brought the crochet. 
This is a little place mat she hooked.  Mesmerized by the speed of crochet, Chockelet has embarked on an afghan.  I hope to show you her progress next week.  This week she proved that she can count to over 100 even at Crossroads.

Wajio brought a pair of very cute baby socks.  I wish I had photographed them with something as a reference point so you can really see their size.

VanesaPolo brought the really cool sweater she is knitting. The pattern is Serra by Laura Aylor.  The engineering is really cool.  It is based on a design by Barbara Walker.

Skeinherder is busy with Malabrigo Junkies Stockpile Event.  She is knitting small projects with Malabrigo, since for this month, it's all about finishing projects to be eligible for prizes.  What small project did she bring?  A Streptococcus Chain, of course.  Knit in Malabrigo.  Because even bacteria look better in Malabrigo.

The mall was rather quiet; might have been because of the cold rain.  The yarn was warm and soft.  And the company was definitely fun.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with no spiders, but also no germs.


No comments:

Post a Comment