Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Spring Term has Begun

Hello!

So far this spring, my cats have killed a giant rat (left it on my bedroom floor), a small bird (yes I felt guilty about that because I have 2 feeders), and this morning, a small mole?
My cats are usually the type of hunters who either bring home pine cones and think they are small animals, or bring home live animals and let them go in our bedroom.  This has happened twice with baby rabbits.  Yes, we have found live baby rabbits in our bathroom that had to be let out, while we kept in the cats, and hoped they found their way back home.

The weather has been very very hot, in the 80's F.  I have never seen it this hot in May.  Usually, it doesn't get above 70 F here until August.

In fact, after 2 days of above 80 F, our snow pack

 is very melted.
So sad.

But the temperatures were almost back to normal today, and it was much more comfortable.

The HPKCHC (Harry Potter Knitting and Crochet House Cup) Spring Term has begun.  I am still in Gryffindor.  Last term, we came in 2nd for the over all cup, and in first in Quidditch.   I am weirdly excited for the competition.  Not so weirdly, I am happy for the push to craft that this game gives me.  I need to finish up the 1st Anniversary Afghan that I am hooking by June.  I need to make a ton of baby gifts for the newest expected Eastside Stitchers.  I want to somehow stay in SM for at least one more round.  Crafting for the class prompts somehow helps me to keep focused and crafting like a mad woman.

So far, I have turned in 2 classes.  While I like how this game encourages me to make some stuff I would not have thought of making, I mostly need to get stuff done.  So, I usually make the stuff I need/want to make, like afghan squares or socks, then try to find class prompts that fit.

The prompt for Care of Magical Creatures was about werewolves.  You could craft something that reflected their dual nature, or craft something that would "soothe the werewolf so he can keep his human sanity."  This type of prompt can be ANYTHING.  Especially, the soothe the werewolf part. 

I made the 2013BAMCAL 6 in square for May, Puff Flower by Heather Johnson.  The softness of the puffs is sure to soothe a werewolf.  Don't you agree?



The History of Magic prompt is about Sir Cadogan.  You can craft something that shows how brave you are, something huge, tiny or intricate and complex.  You can craft something using second hand materials, since Sir Cadogan's pony was his second choice, or you can craft something as a second try - something you failed at and are now trying again. 

Well, I thought of making a square with tons of color changes for something intricate.  Then I looked at the April squares for 2013BAMCAL (I am behind because of all the sock knitting).  One of the squares is Waldo's Puzzle by Chris Simon.  Actually, this pattern was not difficult.  Chris Simon writes very clear instructions for some very clever patterns.  But, the square looks interesting and difficult.
I proposed my OWL (a project that should take 2 - 3 months to complete, which was approved today.  I won't be able to write much about the OWL, as it is for the expected babies.  I hope to take notes, and write about it after the Baby Shower in August.

I feel a bit like I am off to a slow start.  The cleaning of the craft room and my job are taking time.  I know this is silly, but I will try to crank out 2 more projects before the 10th even though we don't have the Crazy Train this term.  That way, I will be more than half way finished with classes.

Peace.
f1bercat
shaping the planet with 2 finished classes.



No comments:

Post a Comment