Thursday, May 9, 2013

Miles of Piping

Hello:

On Thursdays, I have Sewing Lab at Lake Washington Institute of Technology.  Basically, I use the machines, tables, great iron, etc, at the college for sewing.  The teacher, Jackie, is there to answer questions, and help as people need. 

I have decided that I am not really using this class correctly.  I have been working on some project bags using the Bag Making Bible by Lisa Lam.  I am making a purse like bag she calls the Piping Hot Hobo Bag.  I have forgotten my camera the last 2 weeks, so I have no photos yet.  But, anyway, if I had brought the camera today, I would have just taken photos of piping.  I spent 3 hours cutting bias strips, sewing them together into a long, continuous strip, then using a piping foot (my favorite toy in the lab so far), to sew a cord into the strip.

Yes, 3 hours of that.

However, I have a ton of red red red piping, and if I ever get the bag put together, I am ready to go.  I know I could just buy piping, and bias tape for that matter.  But there is something so finished looking about making my own.  I just wish that I had more time for sewing.  I wish that every day were 48 hours long, so I could do all of the crafting I want to do.

Of course, work (my tutoring job) is cutting into my crafting time a bit.  I picked up my 5th student today.  We will start next week.  He asked how he would know me when we met the first time.  I said, "It will be easy, I will be the 53 year old woman in the Student Success Center."  He laughed and said that I would know him because he will be the 53 year old man.  I can't wait to meet him.

Yours,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with miles of piping.



No comments:

Post a Comment