Monday, May 27, 2013

Secrets

Hello:

Happy Memorial Day!

Today we celebrated the 20th birthday of my son, Himes.  His birthday was yesterday, but we couldn't all get together ON his big day, so we did it today.

For birthdays at our house, the birthday person gets to pick the dinner menu, and what type of cake/dessert they want, and I make it.  For Himes, that means Chicken Divan and a yellow cake with chocolate frosting.  I added some corn on the cob, as I know he loves that, too.

Allifer and A came, Pookie, the Doc, Himes, and of course, me.  Very fun evening.

This weekend, with no work for me, I have been knitting/crocheting up a storm.  But, I can't really discuss most of it because it is on projects for the new soon-to-be-moms in Eastside Stitchers.  We are planning a baby shower for all 3 of them in end of July/early August.  I am trying to crank out some gifts.

The work is pretty fun as I am making things I have never made before.  But I can't discuss them here, or show photos of the progress.

So I will just have to show a photo of a project for HPKCHC, instead.

One of the prompts was to knit or crochet (or macrame) something using a "bast" fiber; this includes linen and hemp.   I checked my stash, and while I have some linen yarns, none of them are 100% linen.  I think the project has to be over 50%.  My linen yarn has about 30% linen.  I didn't want to spend a lot on this project, so I checked out Pacific Fabric in Bellevue.

They didn't have any bast fiber yarns with the bast fiber over 50%. I found some hemp cord.  It wasn't very much, only 5 yds, but I decided to try to make the fan Bookmark by Crochetroo.  This was a relatively easy crochet, and I think the bookmark would be quite alright, but I ran out of the hemp.  I still really like the way it looks, and it was good enough to turn in.

Other than this little thing, it's been all secret knitting.  Oh well, I hope to be able to post photos of those projects soon.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with a fan bookmark.

No comments:

Post a Comment