Sunday, June 1, 2014

Crazy Cabled Finish

Hello:
Early on these sunny mornings, there is a slight mist over the lake.  It fades the green of the hills on the east side of the lake and the Cascades.  I love how everything looks slightly blurred.

Today was the last day of May, so I had to turn in all my classes for the month for the HPKCHC.  I had only turned in one class, though I had already finished 2 more.  But, I am in a group in my house, Gryffindor, that is trying to maximize our points, so I wanted to turn in more than 3 classes.  So, on Thursday, I started a hat.  I decided to crochet it, since that is a much faster craft for me.  I used the Lassig pattern by Claire Cronkleton.  This was the free crochet pattern at Serial Knitters on the 2014 North Puget Sound LYS Crawl.

The hat is slouchy, and looked textured to me and I thought it would be quick.  It calls for Tosh Merino, but I decided to use up some Malabrigo that I had left over from the Donnie hat I made last year.
It wasn't until I was finished with the top,

and half way down the sides that I realized that what I thought was texture was a cable.  So clever!


I dropped down 2 hook sizes since I tend to hook loosely, and the hat is pretty tight.  I might frog it and remake it.

I did make a second version of the hat on Friday.  I figured how to start the cables at the beginning. 
I had to monkey around with the increases quite a bit.  I decided to hook a bigger hat so it would be really slouchy.
This hat actually fits pretty well.  I'm going to donate it to Knots of Love in memory of one of the Gryffindors who died of cancer this year.

Then, I took the way these cables are made, and I hooked an afghan square.
Three projects in 3 days.  Super crazy.
Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with crocheted cables.




No comments:

Post a Comment