Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Sleepless in...

I am way too old for this.

Doc left this morning for Las Vegas for 2 days.  Our niece on his side is celebrating her 21st birthday.  Doc's sister, father, the birthday girl, birthday girl's brother (our #2 Godson), and... not sure who all else, are headed to Vegas for a few days of fun. 

I knew this day was coming. I needed to finish an afghan for Godson #2 who just graduated from college and was accepted into Med School.  We planned for Doc to deliver the afghan in Vegas. But, I was knitting socks.  So, starting Sunday, I hooked three 12 in. squares, hooked everything together into 5 rows of 5 squares, then last night I started hooking the rows together.  I wanted the afghan to be close to 5 ft x 6 ft, so I hooked the squares into rows with no spaces, then added some rows of double crochet in between each row.  This meant a row of red on the top and bottom of each row of 5 squares.  Then, I joined the rows together with a double crochet row in black.  This added about 3 inches in between each row, so at least one more foot of length.  I am not kidding, I finished all of this at about 4 am.  I noticed that it seemed to be getting lighter, and sure enough, the sun was rising, and I had not done a border.  I still had some weird second wind going, and I was binge watching the latest season of Orange is the New Black, though with the sound super low, so I decided to do a simple border row of double crochet in black. Then I crashed in bed at about 5:30 am.

The above photo is the only one I have of the finished afghan, because the Doc packed it before I got up at 9 to quickly shower and drive him to the airport.

I do have photos of the last three squares that I hooked.  I designed all of them, and while they don't all work perfectly as designed, I really like the basic patterns used, and hope to made another version of each.

Right now I'm calling them:
Clown Collar


 Dots

 and Lace 1
I need to get back to my Tour de Sock socks...

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with very little sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment