Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Vogue Knitting Live, Seattle/Bellevue Market, Day 3

Hello:

I thought I would get in one more post about some of the vendors and things that caught my eye in the Market at Vogue Knitting Live, Seattle Bellevue.

I wasn't really able to check out the Market until Sunday because I was pretty busy with my volunteering.  It wasn't that I did so many hours, but rather that the hours were spread out in such a way, that I only had limited breaks, and also, because on Saturday, I had to go from the Meydenbauer to the Hyatt rather quickly.  Then, since my last hour of volunteering was also at the Hyatt, with just a 2 hour break, and since it was raining, I didn't feel like hoofing the almost mile to the Meydenbaur and back.

My Sunday volunteer job was to work at the doors of the Market from 12:30 to 2:00pm, so I got to the Meydenbauer at about 10 am, and spent 2 hours walking around checking out the booths.  This was not enough time to really get a good look.  The shorter time kept me from spending too much, however.

I didn't spend too much time looking at yarn.  Many of the booths were what I would call local, as in they were from the immediate Seattle/Bellevue area.  There were also many booths that were familiar to me from last year's North Puget Sound LYS Tour.  Since there will be 2 LYS tours in May, South Sound followed one week later by North Sound, I didn't really bother to check out any of the booths I will see on the tour.

Rather, I spent my time in the booths that represented shops from out of state, or those that were selling "other" stuff.

I went back to the Art Exhibits, and spent time crocheting a neon square to add to Suzanne Tidwell's installation.
I also stopped by the knitted glass exhibit. Carol Milne is the artist.  I just wanted to post a few more photos of her art because it is really beautiful.








High Desert Fiberworks featured angora rabbit fur.  By "featured," I mean, they had angora blend yarns for sale, as well as bunnies on display.




I even got to watch them cut one of the bunny's fur.

I stopped to check out Tess' Designer Yarns.


Much of their yarns on display were shades of grays or included grays.  The pieces they had to show how the yarn knit up were amazing.
I enjoyed the chance to check out some Japanese stitch dictionaries at the Kinokuniya Book Stores booth.  I picked up two crochet books, and am now teaching myself how to read crochet symbols.
I stopped at the Churchmouse Yarn and Teas booth just to stalk Jared Flood.  I think he was on to me though, and I could not get a good stealth shot of him.

One other vender really caught my eye.  Meg Hannan of Rag Sky Art Studio  makes what she calls "Fabric Jewels."
They are pins, earrings, and just art.
She described her process,

and let me take photos of her art -in-the-making.


I enjoyed talking to her, and just loved her work.




As for my own knitting, I did have one very fun story from the  convention.  I was working on the Braveheart socks while I did my various volunteer jobs.  The last day, while I was sitting at the door of the Market, checking badges and wristbands, I had someone ask me if the pattern for the socks was available.  I was very flattered.  It almost made me feel like a designer.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the world from Bellevue, WA
















No comments:

Post a Comment