Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Comfort

Hello,

In the aftermath of the bombings at the Boston Marathon yesterday, I can only think that those of us who stitch, knit and crochet, are lucky.  We have something comforting to do with our hands in times of stress.  We can keep ourselves occupied while waiting for more news.

We lived across the river from Boston, in Cambridge, for one year while my husband, the Doc, did a fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital.  My 4th child, Himes, was born in Beth Israel Hospital, one of the hospitals where victims were taken yesterday.  We didn't watch the Marathon the year we were there, that April, I was 8 months pregnant with Himes, and as the other 3 kids were 1, 2 and 4 years old, they never could have sat still that long.  But, we traveled all over Boston and Cambridge on the subways, the "T."  We spent lots of time at the Public Garden.  We walked down Boylston Street, where the bombing occured, with our triple stroller.

Today, I spent the day crocheting squares for the 1st Anniversary Afghan for my nephew and his bride.  I thought about the hope that comes with a wedding, and how they are talking about when they will start their family.  I thought about one of our friends who attends Boston University, and was watching the Marathon yesterday, but, thankfully, not near the bomb site.  I thought about our East Coast member, Redbird1, Chockelet's husband, and other friends who happened to be in the Boston area yesterday.  And I crocheted and crocheted all day. 

All my friends and family are safe today.  I think of those who were killed and injured, and I grieve.  And I continue crocheting.  The afghan I am making will bring my nephew and his bride comfort on cold winter days.  The making of it brings me comfort now.  How will those most affected by the bombing find comfort?

Peace,
f1bercat

No comments:

Post a Comment