Saturday, April 6, 2013

Vogue Knitting Live, Seattle/Bellevue Day 1


Hello, and Welcome to Bellevue, WA.

Ugh, we had such gorgeous weather last weekend, really.  Those lucky people attending Vogue Knitting Live, Seattle Bellevue, might doubt this because we had some significant rain yesterday, and are due for another rainy day today with thundershowers in the forecast.  This is a bit of a bummer because the Events are split between the Hyatt Regency and the Meydenbauer Center and these are about .8 miles apart.  Of course, there is a shuttle running back and forth, but still, it is too bad that the weather is not cooperating.

I spent the morning, late afternoon, and evening at the Meydenbauer volunteering.  In the morning (7:45 check in time) I helped direct people to their classrooms on the 4th floor.  This was easy and fun, and I got to at least see the teachers come in, and then help move tables for Anna Hrachovec of the amazingly cute mini mochi mochis.  She is teaching how to make her designs, but also has an art installation in the Market (more on that later).

I went home at 9 because I had to drive the Doc to the airport.  He is down in So. Cal. helping out at my brother's house for the weekend.  What a great brother-in-law and husband.

I finished up my Flower Exchange package for the Gryffindor Swap (but forgot to get a photo), mailed it, then headed back up to the Meydenbauer with VanesaPolo.  We sat and knit for a while before her class and my next volunteer shift.  I worked on my Braveheart Socks.  Chockelet was there at an afternoon class, and joined us when she was finished.  We were also joined by CathiC, and MsWiz (who was there to join VanesaPolo in her class).  It was fun to have so many Eastside Stitchers present.


We were knitting at a table on the first floor near the registration area and the Market.  Today, this table and the area around it will be a Beginner Knitters' Lounge. The tables are equipped with yarn and lots of needles for people to use as they practice.

Hanging from the 2nd floor, above this area, are skeins and skeins of Cascade yarn.


These are all grouped by color.  On Sunday, there will be a "Yarn Drop."  The yarn will be dropped into the crowd below, and the people who are able to catch the skeins will take them home.

My evening volunteer shift was at the Market doors.
The Market was open for a 2 hour preview last night.  As I was "working," I didn't get much of a chance to check out the various booths, but I did go in too grab some free coffee from the cart (on the right side wall), and since I passed the Fiber Art Installations, I took some quick photos.  As much as I love knitting and crocheting practical pieces of clothing and afghans, I absolutely love seeing the imaginative ways these fiber artists use our media.

Here is a quick rundown of the Art in the Market:

Anna Hrachovec has a display, more like a tiny town, of her mochimochi.





Suzanne Tidwell is a fiber artist who works mostly in the Seattle area.  She creates large scale yarn-bombing type installations.
Her installation is an interactive one.  Last night, the panels of yarn were just beginning to take shape.  As the weekend progresses, and more visitors participate, they will grow.
Stop by and join in the art.

 Carol Milne knits with glass. 
Her work is intricate and delicate.  You have to see it to believe it.



Kelly Fleek uses fiber in sculpture, wearable sculpture.
The hats on display are whimsical, yet so structural.  They just beg to be touched.  I can see the natural inspirations.  They remind me of gourds and squash.  I thought of Cinderella's stepsisters.


 Julie Kornblum weaves baskets with fiber and found/recycled materials.  
The baskets on display offer delight and surprise.  I kept stopping to look back as I recognized the various  bottle caps, etc. that are woven in.



Jean Hicks is another fiber sculpture artist, but she works with felted materials.  She is a milliner (hat maker), and has made hats for Seattle's own Theatro Zinzanni.
Saying she makes felted hats just doesn't come close to describing the wild, zany, and beautiful hats on display.


Mandy Greer weaves, crochets and knits strips of discarded materials into mixed-media performance art.  She works with groups out in the community, including her audience in the process.  I'm not sure if I am explaining this well, but, the pieces are really fun and organic.

Ashley Blalock crochets giant wall doilies.  That doesn't begin to describe the huge yet delicate creation on display. 
The floor installation is thousands of crocheted flowers.  It is amazing to see the juxtaposition of the individual large crocheted piece against the many many tiny ones.  Pieces like these make me proud to be a hooker.

Darlyn Susan Yee is a contemporary artist from Los Angeles. She uses unexpected materials to create what could be ordinary bits of clothing, a dress, an apron, yet are completely different and surprising.
I recognized the familiar Granny Square motif in the aprons on the table.  I think the material is plastic.
I found myself looking and nodding at the familiarity.  Beginning to move on, then stopping, and taking a second look as I realized that while familiar, there was something so new about the pieces, that I just had to look closer.  I love art that catches me.

The line of attendees was well mannered, but excited to get in to the Market and see the goodies.

It was a relief to be able to open the doors and let everyone inside.  Of course it is always fun to check out the great knitwear on display.
The dress was knit by her mom, but this 9 year old knit her own hat.

I need to eat breakfast so I can get my stuff together and head out for another day of fiber and fun.  I will be at the Meydenbauer in the morning, then moving to the Hyatt at 2.  Hope to see you there.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the world at Vogue Knitting Live, Bellevue
Redbird1, this photo is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment