Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sock Madness Round 4: Not Feeling It

Hello:

The above photo is from January, but it might as well be today.  It is back down in the low 40's, cloudy, and feels freezing outside.  When I woke up this morning, there was sleet on the ground.  Whaaaaaaaaa?  The weather was just wonderful a week ago.  I don't mind clouds and rain, but his cold has got to go.

I have started Round 4 of Sock Madness, but weirdly, I am just not feeling it.  This is a "bye" round, where everyone automatically passes through to the next round whether or not you actually finish the sock.  So, I am feeling no pressure.  The pattern was sent last Friday morning, but I was busy that day and in the evening as well.  Then, on Saturday, I went to the Kelsey Creek Farm Wild and Wooly Sheep Shearing.

I finally got a start on the pattern Saturday night.  It is a lace pattern, Rose Water by Heatherly Walker, YarnYenta on Ravelry.  It starts with a provisional cast on. I have only done this a few times, but thank goodness I am a crocheter, because it is relatively easy to do this cast on by chaining right onto a circular needle.

The first few rows are easy, then you take out the waste yarn, and put the live stitches back onto a second circular needle, and with the cuff folded in half, knit together the two needles' worth of stitches, ending up with the original amount of stitches, and a folded over cuff.

I wasn't too sure about doing all of this 2-at-a-time, so I knit the first cuff, folded it and got it all back on one needle.  It wasn't difficult, but it took forever to carefully pull off the waste yarn and pick up the live stitches, then knit them together with the original needle.

I really love how this cuff came out.  It was after midnight by the time I had knit just half of the 2nd cuff, so I went to bed, ready to get a good start in the morning.  I knew I had to get a good start in the morning, as I was driving to Portland Sunday afternoon to pick up Moogie and bring her home.  Moogie had an interview set up for Monday morning for a summer job as a lifeguard.

In the morning, I got the cuff to where it was ready to fold, but, when I came to the end, I realized that I had about 6 fewer stitches on the regular needle than I needed.  I had missed 6 YO's, way back where the cuff folds.  It is the k2tog and YO combination that makes the cute ridged cuffs.  There was nothing to do except rip it back and start over.  So I ripped, but then had to leave for Portland


We got home at about 8:30 pm, and I tried again.  I went to bed, with the cuff half knit, then picked it up Monday morning, made the fold, took off the waste yarn, picked up the live stitches, and on and on.  This time, when I got to the end, I had one extra stitch on one needle.  I was 4 days behind.  The new HPKCHC term starts on Wed.  I just k3tog, and went on.

I am about half way through the first lace repeat.  The pattern is not tough, so I am making progress, but, I just don't feel the push to knit like the wind.  I do hope I finish these before the next pattern comes, because I will need the needles.

I wanted to make a blog recommendation.  One of the first knitting blogs I found 2 years ago, was Knitting with Karma by Elisabeth Marino.  I just love her calm way of writing.  She gives good advice, free patterns occasionally, and is well, just cheerful.  She is a much more advanced knitter than I am, and her blog reflects this.  Anyway, she hadn't written an entry for about 3 months, then POP, last week she started blogging again. It was great to have her back.  Today, she has a nice entry about how to knit on a budget.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with 2 cuffs.


No comments:

Post a Comment