Friday, September 14, 2012

X or "Gebo" is the Ancient Rune meaning "Gift"

6:00 am Friday, September 14, 2012

Hello!

Stitching

I have been working like a dog this week.  As I said in my post yesterday, the HPKCHC (Harry Potter Knitting and Crochet House Cup) Group on Ravelry, has me really hopping to complete classes.  It's not that I am making anything different from what I would already be stitching, but there is a big push to get stuff in early.  I assume that is so people actually finish things.  So I am honestly stitching from 6 am until I fall asleep at the needles at around 10 or 11 pm.  Last night I stayed up to post my blog, which I had been neglecting from lack of sleep, and that meant I went to bed around 1 am. EEEEK!

I wanted to tell you about my Ancient Runes class.

This class prompt was super confusing to me.  At first I did not see at all how I could make anything for the class, much less turn in something I had already planned to make.  Let me quote some of the prompt:

With the return of Ancient Runes to this Term’s study, we are going to begin by studying the origin of runes from a historical perspective. Whereas some use Runes for divination purposes, we will be studying the runes as a form of writing only. For mystical applications, please see Professor Trelawney and her Divination class.” “There are different opinions regarding when and where the pre-Christianity Germanic runic alphabet began, but some Muggle scholars believe it to have originated in Sweden.....

Her wand flashes in the air as if conducting a symphony and unfamiliar letter like figures begin to dance and swirl around the room:
Your assignment this month is to study and craft an item, spin, or dye yarn inspired by the runes themselves, by the Norse & Germanic cultures from which they arose, or inspired by your own heritage. Be sure to share a summary of your research and explain how it is reflected in your class project.
When completing your homework, please refer to the Project Standards and General Rules of Conduct and Crafting pages for further information on how to turn in projects for the cup and additional information. Also, please the use the standard header, below, when turning in your homework."


Honestly, at first I was like... Whaaaaaat?

So, like a chicken, I worked on other classes, and figured that I wouldn't try to turn in for this one.  But then, I decided to check out what HAD been turned in.  People were talking a bit about the runes,



their meanings, and then showing how the shape of the rune was in their project.  Like how a stitch or pattern formed a rune.  I could do that! I did some quick research on wikipedia, and discovered that 2 of the runes have nice shapes that regularly appear in crocheted squares:  X and I.

The X and the I were perfect for the Ribbed Square that I had already made for the 2012BAMCAL.


HPKCHC has a size requirement for blanket squares of about 8" x 8", so I would need to make more than one of these 6 in squares.  Part of the turn in is the "story" or selling your project to the professors.

I hooked 3 more squares, and in 2 of them alternated blue and white, with the white on the fpdc (front post double crochet) so they stood out.


Then I sewed them all together and added a crocheted border.   I just need to turn in my explanation of how the square fits the prompt and a photo with measurements of the finished object.

"Inspired by the rune X gebo or "gift"  (this square is for a blanket that is a gift),  and the rune I isaz or "ice."  The isaz rune is repeated on almost every round of the square, and is a reminder of the warmth the finished blanket will bring, protecting the recipient from the cold.  Also, the Rune X (gebo) is in each quadrant of the square."


Whether or not it is accepted for the Ancient Runes homework, I really love how this square came out.

Gryffindor Gym
So I am working my way through the various Gryffindor threads, and I found 2 that were new to me.  One of them is the Gryffindor Gym.  In this thread, you state a fitness goal, then post regularly how you are doing.  People are working on everything from losing weight to running a 5K.  Some people are very specific, others vague.  The moderator must be either a trainer or dietician in real life, because she gives great advice to help work towards the goals.  For instance, one member has broken her foot.  So the moderator suggested all kinds of exercises she could do with weights at the gym, or at home, to stay in shape.  Very cool.

I plan to get back on my bike trip and post about it in the Gym thread.  I haven't been to the Y since before I left for California back in July.  I need to get back on it.  Hopefully, posting on the Gym thread will help me find the motivation.

Stay safe and well.
Yours,
f1bercat
Shaping the planet one ancient rune at a time.

6:30 am September 14, 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment