Thursday, September 27, 2012

2012 Bellingham LYS Crawl part 3

Seen in Bellingham

Hello!

I am headed down to So. Calif. on Saturday to stay with and help out at my brother's house, and they have horrible internet. So, I am going to get my Bellingham LYS Crawl posts wrapped up tomorrow night, just in case.  I am going to make myself post while I am down there, even though it is torture to upload photos.  But, the posts might be short and relatively photo-less, just a warning.

On to the LYS Crawl:

Part 3

Wool Station
1103 11th St.
Bellingham, WA





After we had finished lunch, we drove about 10 minutes to the "historic Fairhaven neighborhood" of Bellingham, to Wool Station.

This LYS was not a part of the 2012 Puget Sound LYS Tour last May, so it was new to everyone.  The thing I noticed immediately upon entering was yarn, yarn, yarn.  There is a lot of yarn in this shop.  It is not a huge size, but it isn't small either.  It is nicely full of yarn.


One of the things I found interesting about our little mini-crawl was that every shop had something unique, some unique yarns, that everyone just went crazy over.  The yarn everyone loved here was Shepherd's Wool by Stonehenge Fiber Mill.  Honestly, just like the tug-of-war over the apple blossom colorway from Huckleberry Knits at Apple Yarn, there was a bit of a kerfuffle over some, I think it was the Pansy colorway.  Someone, who shall not be named, needed quite a bit for a special project, and others in the group were super gracious, and went for different colors to help her out.  Eastside Stitchers share.

I didn't need this weight of yarn, and I had a skein already, so I spent time just wandering and reading the labels of all the other yarns in the shop.

Raspberry
Wool Station didn't seem to have much in the way of Indie-dyers, but it had so much yarn from companies that I had never heard of.  I know I am not super experienced, and I have never been to a convention, like Stitches West, but there were just tons of yarns that were completely new to me.

Wildfoote
Heirloom Alpaca
Ella Rae Yarn  Alpaca
 I could just keep adding photos of yarns I had never seen before.  Now of course, I can find all of these yarns online.  And my own local shop probably carries some of them, but it just seemed that there were so many new ones.  And it is really cool to be able to touch, and see the colors of a new brand of yarn.

I bought the yarn for my last 2 projects here.

I got 3 skeins of Nuna by Mirasol Yarn of Peru.  The color is 1004 (ha, a number, not a name) but it is a beautiful red.
I hope to make a Holden Shawlette by Mindy Wilkes with this yarn.

The other yarn I bought was 2 skeins/balls of Silk and Merino from The Diana Collection by Yarns Northwest.    This also does not have a name just a number, 07.  It is a beautiful green/gray.


I plan to make the Age of Brass and Steam by Orange Flower.  One of the Eastside Stitchers has finished this shawlette/kerchief, and also Bookworm Mary, over at Needles and Hooks and Books, Oh My, knit one.  They are both beautiful.

Wool Station also had a great selection of locally crafted notions.  They had some really nice buttons, and GwenS got a gorgeous shawl pin.

Stay safe and well.
Yours,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with silk and merino and bamboo
Zauberball Yarn at Wool Station





1 comment:

  1. The Holden Shawlette was my first knitted shawl, and I love it!! Yours will look fabulous in red!

    ReplyDelete