Wednesday, September 26, 2012

2012 Bellingham LYS Crawl part 2

Hello!

Today I am going to try to post twice because I want to get out my 2012 Bellingham LYS Crawl, part 2, as well as my regular report on the Eastside Stitchers meet up at Crossroads.

So, onto the Yarn Crawl.

Stop 2

Apple Yarns
1780 Iowa St.
Bellingham, WA 98229



The second stop on our fabulous mini-LYS crawl was to Apple Yarns.  I have to admit that I fell in love with this shop on the big Puget Sound LYS Tour back in May.  It was a small, but bright and cheerful shop with a lot of lovely yarns.  Well, Apple Yarns got even better!  They moved since we trekked out there last May.  The new shop has just the same feel as the old one, clean lines, bright cheerful colors, but way more space.
 
One of the cool additions is a lovely room for classes, or just knitting and relaxing with some coffee or tea.  In my notes about this shop, on the new classroom space I wrote, "bright, inviting, open and warm."


The best part of the more space thing, is of course, more yarn.

Just as we all went crazy over The Periwinkle Sheep's yarn at NW Handspun, the exciting yarns here that had everyone buzzing were Huckleberry Knits, and SweetGeorgia Yarns.  But, I have to admit for the members of the group who had not had a chance to come with us last May, it was Huckleberry Knits, who is a local dyer who does some special Apple Themed yarns for this shop, who stole the show.


I bought her Willow Sock Yarn, in  Honey Crisp, last May for my famous Circle Socks.
I get so many compliments when I wear these socks.

There was almost a tug of war over the Apple Blossom colorway, as there was only 1 skein available.


I did not need yarn for socks.  Well, my list had 1 skein of purple sock yarn for SolidSocks for NEXT year.

I did want some fingering weight yarn, though.  I am becoming obsessed with shawl/shawlette patterns, and hope to knit a High Plains Drifter by Kirsten Hipsky.  I wanted 3 different colors, possibly one of them variegated.  I chose 2 SweetGeorgia tough love sock colors, and one from Huckleberry Knits.

 The Huckleberry Knits skein is called, "October Sky."  Don't you just love that name?

I also managed to find a skein of purple sock yarn that I loved among the SweetGeorgia offerings.  It's called, Boysenberry.
One of the best things about the shop is the MORE SPACE/MORE YARN thing.  When they have a yarn, they have a really good selection of that yarn.  Like there would be an entire column of shelves full of a single brand in many many colors, and not just in Cascade (which I love), but in various other brands, too.

This makes Apple Yarns a good stop for color work, or if you need to match or coordinate a particular color.

After Apple Yarns, we stopped for lunch at Fiamma Burger

I had a Jr. Burger (really, it was big enough), and some of the sweet potato fries.  Yum.
Then it was back into the cars and off to our next stop.
I hope to post about stop #3 tomorrow. 

Stay safe and well.
Yours,
f1bercat
Shaping the planet with some Huckleberry Knits Yarn!











2 comments:

  1. Those yarns are beautiful, and that shawl pattern is fabulous-- now I have to hunt through my stash to see if I have something to make it with-- I cannot believe I havent seen that pattern before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only fair if you get an idea for a shawl from me, as I get so many ideas from your blog =)

      Delete