Saturday, September 15, 2012

Triple Dipped Socks

First room at Chihuly Garden and Glass
Hello!

HPKCHC

I have finally made some progress on my socks for September.  I think I posted here that I committed to making 3 pairs of socks for the Fall Term in HPKCHC for my OWL project.  Normally, I make a pair a month anyway, well I did last year, so I should be able to complete this project.

The first pair of socks that I am making are named Coupling  by Deb Barnhill.  She is one of the featured designers for September for Sock Knitters Anonymous.  The "technique" for this month is to knit something in RED.  I  was tempted.  But the challenge for SolidSocks is to knit in either Black, White or Gray.  Definitely not RED.  With all the things I am trying to finish up, as well as plans to head back to Southern Calif in October, I didn't want to try to knit 2 pair of socks this month, so I had to go with a designer and not the technique.  Not a problem though.  She has some very lovely patterns.

I originally started these socks in some Kroy Socks by Paton in Gentry Gray.

  But, Since I was afraid that they would be too tight, they have only 56 stitches each, I added 14 more stitches.  Seven on the instep (the pattern is a 7 stitch repeat) and 7 to the sole.  I also started knitting with size 2 Addi Turbo needles.  The Owl requires that you submit a gauge swatch before the examiners will ok your project.  I don't usually knit gauge swatches for socks.  But I was glad I did because they were huge!


So I frogged them all the way and recast on with a different yarn and the right number of stitches.  These were a bit too big, too, so FROGGED them again and recast them on size 1 Addi Turbos.  Well, I cast on 1 sock.  For the OWL, to gauge swatch for a pair of socks, you cast on one, knit the cuff and 2 inches of the pattern, then measure.  Since these are toe up, I knit the toes and 2 inches of the foot.  This gave me a decent swatch.  Well, third time is a charm, and they seem to be the right size now.

I submitted my OWL, then had to wait a day for the examiners to ok it.  Of course I worked on many other projects, especially the various squares for the 2012BAMCAL.  As most of those have fit the class prompts, I was also finishing classes while I waited.

Once the ok came, I got started knitting.  First I started the 2nd sock, and when the 2 were at the same place, knit them onto one set of circulars.  The 2nd pair was started on a pair of KnitPicks Harmony needles (I love the sharp points on this brand), and as I was knitting them onto the Addis, I broke a tip!

I kept knitting with the broken needle.  It wasn't too bad.  The only hard part were the SSK's where I had to insert the broken needle through the back loops of 2 stitches.  But I persevered, and now the socks are ready to start the gusset increases.


I will be knitting almost monogamously on these for the rest of the month, so I should be able to finish them by Sept 30.  I will have Quidditch and I am still making spa washcloths for Christmas gifts.  These are part of 2 other HPKCHC challenges as well.  But the bulk of my afghan block crocheting is finished.  I still have 1 more 12 in pattern (2 squares), the September filler pattern, to hook, but no pressure if I need to do that next month.

These socks are very easy, and I like the way the pattern is showing up with this yarn.  I should be able to submit them for SolidSocks, SKA, and HPKCHC.

A triple dipped pair!

Where in the world is f1bercat?

I still haven't made it back to the Y and the bike trip, but today I walked around our block the LONG way, so I walked about 1 mile.

Hope to get on the bike on Monday.

Stay safe and well.
Yours,
f1bercat
Shaping the planet with some correctly gauged socks

Chihuly Garden and Glass, First room.

No comments:

Post a Comment