Sunday, May 11, 2014

Snowflake Sunday

Hello:

First, I am a WINNER! in the 2014 South Sound Yarn Crawl. 

I got an email from Fibers Etc. in Tacoma Friday night telling me that I had won a drawing.  This is the amazing tiny store that is packed floor to ceiling with the most beautiful art yarns.
The prize was a bag of four skeins of Classic Elite Yarns Mountaintop Canyon.  This is a naturally colored yarn in Sport Weight.  It is a 85% pima cotton/ 15% alpaca blend.  It is super soft and super light.  The prize included a shawl pattern, but I'm not sure I will knit it.  I plan to check the yarn out on Ravelry and see what other patterns have been knit in this yarn.  The store owner told me that if I don't like the undyed color, this yarn will take dye beautifully, so that is always an option, but I kind of like the light beige, and might just keep it natural.

Snowflakes

For my 2014 Spring OWL Project for HPKCHC, I am making 30 Christmas Ornaments.  15 will be Knit Balls and 15 will be Crocheted Snowflakes.  While hooking the first few snowflakes this week, I decided to try a snowflake design of my own.  It looks a bit more like a flower, but I thought I would put up the pattern anyway.

Snowflake 2014.04.05  
May the Fourth Be With You

Thread: Size 10
Hook: 2.25 mm



Magic Loop

Round 1:
ch 1, 12 sc in loop, ss in first sc

Round 2:
ch4 (counts as first dc and ch), dc ch1 in each sc around, ss in top of ch3 (12 dc, 12 ch 1 spaces)

Round 3:
ch 5 (counts as first *dc and ch2), dc in next dc, ch 12 ss in 12th ch from hook, * around, ss in 3rd ch of original ch 5. (12 dc, 6 ch12 loops, 6 ch2 spaces)

Round 4:
ch1 *sc in dc, skip ch2 sp, sc in dc, 8 dc in ch12 space, ch3 ss in 3rd ch from hook (picot made), 
3 dc in same ch 12 space, make next dc across the ch12 space between the 5th and 6th dc on the other side of the ch12 space, 

4 dc in the rest (the bottom) of the ch 12 space* around ss in first sc made. (96 dc, 12 sc, 6 picots)

I haven't blocked it yet, but I will soak it in a solution that is 50% white glue and 50% water, then pin it out on my blocking mat that is covered with plastic wrap.

I hope to have a photo of it blocked soon.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with May Snow.





No comments:

Post a Comment