Wednesday, April 9, 2014

We Were Very Young... Take 2

2011 
Hello:

Three years ago, my God Kids (numbers 3,4, and 5 of 6 god kids) came to live with us.  There family was going through a difficult time, and we took them in while their parents figured stuff out.

Needless to say, it was a tough year for everyone.  They are back for a week, well, numbers 4 and 5 are here, now, and number 3 will be here for the weekend, too.  This visit is a whole different story.  It is wonderful to see them doing so well.

I was telling the Sunday Morning Group of Eastside Stitchers about the kids, and I realized an important truth.  Their visit was part of my starting knitting again.  The year they lived with us, I spent a lot of time in the waiting room of a wonderful family therapist.  As a way to pass the time, I started knitting a Dr. Who Scarf.
I had actually started knitting again the summer before they came, but not very seriously, as I was spending most of my free time gaming online.  Because I was away from my computer for these long stretches, either driving them places, waiting to pick them up, waiting at the therapist's office, watching them play sports... all of the things a parent/guardian does with middle school/high school age kids...I needed a portable activity.  Knitting this scarf fit the bill. Before the end of their stay, I had started this blog, and found Ravelry.  I found the Eastside Knitters Guild the next fall, and when Eastside Stitchers started meeting again the next winter, I was ready and actively looking for a regular group.  I began gaming less and less and knitting/hooking more and more.

It is so funny how things happen.  I can't imagine my life now, without a regular stitch meet up.  I can't imagine not having something on the needles and hook at all times.  I have met so many wonderful fiber friends online and in real life.  I have attended fiber festivals, going on crazy LYS tours, my stash has grown to an embarrassing size (to non-stitchers, we stitcher would recognize it as normal).  I have enough pairs of hand knit socks that I never have to wear store bought, unless I want them for a hike/work out. I have published patterns and designed more to be written up.  We opened up our house to some kids-in-need.  And MY life became so much richer. 

So, they are back for their Spring Break.  We took a ride on the ferry to Bainbridge Island yesterday.
2014 
They are taller, specifically, number 5 has passed number 4 in height.  For old time's sake, we visited Churchmouse (that trip 3 years ago was my first every Churchmouse Visit...I bought sock yarn then).
2011  
I did not buy anything this time.  I looked for some Chia Goo size 0 circulars as I broke one of mine, and with Sock Madness just about ready for the 2nd round, I thought I might need a second set, just in case the next pattern does not work for 2-at-a-time.  But Churchmouse does not carry Chia Goo needles. 

We ate lunch at the Fork and Spoon,
2014 
and had dessert at Mora Ice Cream.

Wonderful day, wonderful kids, wonderful visit.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with wonderful God Kids.  ha ha btw, God Kid 4 is wearing the Eastside Hat!
2014



1 comment:

  1. It's so lovely that they are able to visit you during what seems like a more peaceful time of their life! Revisiting old haunts is always fun :)

    ReplyDelete