Saturday, April 5, 2014

Fiber Friday Three's Company


Hello:

I dragged myself out of bed and to Crossroads yesterday for a Fiber Friday meet up.  I was so glad I made the effort.

Pam2 was already there when I arrived.  She was knitting a surprise, so I couldn't take a photo.  We always have such great conversations.  I really enjoy her company.  We have similar numbers of kids (me 5, she 4), and that can be a such a great common topic.  Our group is very low maintenance.  We mostly talk about yarn, patterns. techniques, and tools.  There is very little chance for drama when you have such a strong common interest. 

But, when we have these times when there are only two of us (we had a third person join us but not for a bit), there is a chance to get to know people more deeply.  One of the things chatted about, was the article in the Seattle Times about how diverse Bellevue is.  In fact, Bellevue, which used to be just a suburb of Seattle, is now more diverse than Seattle.  If you ever joined us for a meet up at Crossroads (the most diverse neighborhood of Bellevue), you would easily be able to see  and enjoy this.

So, Pam2 and I knit and chatted, I'm making more baby hats and socks, and then we were joined by Schrike.

Of course he was working on 2 different gorgeous projects.  The first is a baby sweater.  The pattern is Ralphie by Sublime Yarns.  He is using Sublime Yarns Baby Cashmere Merino Silk DK.
This is one lucky baby.  This brought on a discussion of the best yarn choices for making baby items.  The common sense choice is acrylic, because of the ability to wash so well, but now that so many yarns come in superwash, wool and wool blends are becoming a much more practical choice.  And who wouldn't rather knit with wool?  Or even better, a wool/cashmere/silk blend!!

The second project that Schrike worked on is a sweater he is designing for himself.  He wants a circular yoke, a cowl neck, and a button closure on the shoulder.  But, that is not enough.  He also wants to make the button holes a part of the pattern. 
You can't really see it in this photo, but the button holes are IN the cables.  I hope he writes this pattern up.  It is sure to be very cool.

 And speaking of writing up patterns, I was finishing my third try at a new hat design, and some matching baby socks.
I have worked out the general pattern for this hat so that it can be made in many sizes.
The hardest part was closing the top and keeping the swirl going neatly.
I think it worked out pretty well.

Then, I cast on 28 stitches, and made some matching socks.
I've been practicing various heels, well, really just the heel flap, and a short row heel, specifically the Fish Lips Kiss Heel, so I made these with the Fish Lips Kiss heel.  I especially love how the self-striping yarn is broken up in the hat pattern.
Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with photo bombing cat.









No comments:

Post a Comment