Thursday, October 4, 2012

Taco Tuesday (as reported on Thursday)



Hello!

No Eastside Stitchers today as I am still down in Southern California helping out at my brother's house.  I miss my stitch buds!  Hello, everyone.  Can't wait to see what you are all stitching.

 Life

On Tuesday night, my sister, S, invited me out for her regular "Taco Tuesday" group.  Normally this group of friends meets at various taco restaurants around North Orange County for ... Tacos!  It is a very informal group, and they just have fun.

This week was different because they didn't actually go out to eat tacos, but headed down to Balboa Bay.


View Larger Map

This narrow bay is lined with gorgeous houses and shops,


 and has all of these islands that just extend the number of possible houses.  Many celebrities live there.


There are tons of sail boats and yachts docked all over.


It was just lovely.

We rented a small boat, the Knot So Fast,


and spent 2 hours just moseying around, enjoying the sunset

and eating a delicious picnic dinner.

HPKCHC

I have been working hard on my class assignments for the Harry Potter Knitting/Crochet House Cup. Or, I could say that I have been working on stuff that I already had planned to make, and am searching for class assignments that these things might fit.

What I do every month is make a list of the class prompts, then note possible projects that will fit.  For instance, for Herbology, the prompt deals with wands again.  This time, we are learning what types of magical animals provide the core materials that the wandwood we studied last month wraps around.  There are 2 prompts:  Make some crazy hybrid project, or do some cozy "from-the-core" crafting.  The second one is easy for me.  If I make an afghan square, that is definitely a "go-to" craft for me.  So any of the squares I need to make for my 2 afghans I am making for the 2012BAMCAL will work for this class.

So far I have finished both of the main 12 in. squares.  This month the square is Winterslace by Teresa Kohlhoff, and published in HeartmadeBlessings.



The next project I've started, and then had to restart after I just could not get the first filler square, In Treble by Julie Yeager, JulieAnny on Ravelry, to go from round to square.  Then I realized that I had hooked a 5 point star instead of a 6 point in the VERY FIRST ROUND.  Why is counting so difficult.  So no photos yet of this one, but just you wait. It is absolutely gorgeous.  I might turn it in to History of Magic class.  One of the options includes crafting an item to represent the ability to recognize the Fae or Fairy Folk (Seelie) of Scotland in all their exquisite glamour.  I'm hoping that I can sell a beautiful square as recognition of beauty.


I have cast on the second socks for my OWL, the Bubbly Socks by VeryBusyMonkey for Lily Potter.  I'm calling them "Lily's Potion Socks."  These are being knit in the Aussi Sock by Oasis Yarn in Amethyst.  I've finished the cuffs and am starting the pattern.  This is my first pair of symmetrical patterned socks.  I hope that I can keep the charts straight!




The other project is of course my Mobius Cowl, the pattern is Easy Mobius Cowl by Haley Waxberg,  for Pookie.  This is being knit by holding 2 balls of the gorgeous Manos del Uruguay Silk Blend together.


It is very fast and easy, so I am not working too much on it as I want to finish up the afghan squares and get a good start on the socks.

I will find a class for this project, also.  One idea that I have is for Muggle Studies.  In this class, we are studying muggle pets, particularly DOGS.  Ha!  So, one option is to craft something for a dog.  I think I can sell a mobius cowl as a dog collar for a large dog, a very fashionable large dog.  We shall see.

Stay safe and well.
Yours,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with lots of work to do.









No comments:

Post a Comment