Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Eastside Stitchers Discuss... Football (and Yarn)

New Seating Area at Crossroads
Hello!

Tonight was the regular Wednesday meet up for the Eastside Stitchers at Crossroads Mall in Bellevue, WA.  I was there!  I am so happy to be back home with my husband, the Doc, my son, Pookie, my cats, Beena and Muffin, and my Yarn.  And, I am so happy to be able to attend my stitch night.  I love my family.  I love my brother and sister and Mom and Dad.  I miss my stitching buddies when I am out of town.

Enough about me.  Who was able to attend tonight, and the most important thing, What Was Everyone Stitching?

The first thing I noticed when I arrived was a gorgeous colorwork sweater sitting in the corner.


Well, there was a person wearing this beautiful sweater,  but I didn't know her.  The Sweater is the Nordic Yoke Pullover by Ruth Garcia-Alcantud, and was published in Vogue Knitting.  The person wearing (and who knit) this beautiful sweater is Vanesapolo.  She has actually been a member of our Group for quite a while, longer than I have, but she had never come to Stitch Night at Crossroads.  She told us a funny story about trying to alter the neckline of this sweater, and finally, getting it right at a knitting workshop helped by none other than Meg Swansen.  Yes, Meg Swansen touched this sweater. 

Vanesapolo was knitting a new Brioche Vest, designed by Meg Swansen.  I am seeing a pattern here.


The yarn is a beautiful red from Bartlett Yarns.





Redbird1 was wearing a beautiful Farthing Scarf, designed by Jarrod Flood.  She knit it in Loft, and said the knitted lace edging nearly killed her.

She was working on a new shawl by her boyfriend, Jarrod Flood.  (Ok, just kidding about the boyfriend part, but how about knitwear designer crush).  It is the Guilder, and it is really lovely.  She is using Shelter Yarn by Brooklyn Tweed in the "Faded Quilt" colorway.  I love the name of the yarn.

GwenS  has made some huge progress on her Daybreak shawl.  This beautiful pattern was designed by Stephen West.  Gwen is using ... you guessed it, Malabrigo Finito in the Aquas and Lavanda colorways.

Skeinherder was also knitting with Malabrigo.  I guess it is Malabrigo Madness time.  Skeinherder is knitting a shawl for the Stockpile 2012 KAL/CAL.  She is using Malabrigo Sock in Eggplant and making a Windward Shawl.
Tara showed up sporting a beautiful Stockholm Scarf.  "This old thing?"  she said.  "This was my first knitted cowl.

Tara used KnitPicks Wool of the Andes in Garnet.

Colleen and Ellyol were both working on pink baby blankets.
Colleen's 

Ellyol's 
Ellyol brought my prize from the Ravellenic Games.  I had been out of town during the Games, and she picked up my yarn prize for me.
It is a skein of Ella Rae Classic in a lovely pumpkin orange.  I am not sure what I will make with it, but I love the color.


We got into a lively discussion of college football at this point in the night.  Redbird1 is a rabid Alabama fan, while I cheer for the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame.  Tara is an Ohio State Fan, and told us all about an amazing video of a half-time show with the Ohio State Marching Band.  The band performed a tribute to video games.  It is really terrific.

Chockelet arrived at about this time and had brought her Guernsey Wrap for Show and Tell.  This is another Jarrod Flood design.  Really, sometimes I think Jarrod Flood and Stephen West should just join our group.
Chockelet bought the yarn, Shepherd's Wool in "Oatmeal," during our little mini-yarn crawl to Bellingham last month.

She is working on a very pretty Two Tone scarf.  She also got the pattern and yarn up in Bellingham for this project.



When Redbird1 reached a point in her shawl where the cabling was a bit too intense for our SnB, she brought out a new Magic Three-Yarn Scarf that she was beginning.  Redbird1 loves to visit Churchmouse Yarn and Teas, and had picked up the yarns and pattern for this interesting scarf on one of her visits.  The yarn is the weirdest combination:

The pattern uses (from top clockwise) Debbie Bliss Winter Garden which is baby lama, merino, silk and linen;  Rowan Frost which is alpaca and viscose; and Berroco Versa which is a cotton blend.  Amazing that these 3 so very different yarns could be combined into something so pretty.

Hvdmnky finally arrived, fresh from her Yoga class and full of healthful chants.  She was working on a pumpkin hat for a friend's daughter.

I love the I-cord vine.

Allifer joined us right at the end.  Too late to do any stitching, but we had fun chatting with her.

We discussed our Holiday Gift Exchange.  If you are not a regular SnB attendee, but want to participate, please check out the discussion threads for information.  Also, the meet up in 2 weeks will fall on Halloween.  We will change our day of stitching, so watch for that thread, also.  We will put up a poll for Tues, Oct. 30 or Thurs, Nov. 1. 

And lastly, we are always happy to meet new members.  If you are interested in joining us on a Wednesday for a bit of stitching and a lot of laughing, please stop by, and pull up a chair.  We meet next to the Starbucks and Half-Price Books.

Stay safe and well.
Yours,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with lots of Stitch Buddies




3 comments:

  1. Wow, you are fast!
    Thanks for the fun reading.
    Vanesa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing everyone's different projects! So jealous that they're using Malabrigo!! The lavender/aqua project is really pretty.
    Also, I just love reading your stories about your stitch group :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing all the projects! This makes me want to join a stitch night. I need to keep an eye out for one locally.

    ReplyDelete