Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Eastside Crochet Guild Meets and Honors a Member

Hello

Life
I took the above photo at about 8 am.  You can barely see the hills across the lake because of all the clouds and fog.  It has been really raining all day.  Not like what is happening on the East Coast with the Frankenstorm, but still a lot of rain in one day.  I have relatives in New Jersey, and the last we heard from them was late last night, as the eye was approaching.  I hope they are ok.

Eastside Crochet Guild
I finally made it to a meeting of the Crochet Guild.  They meet on the 4th Sunday of every month from 2 - 4.  They used to meet at Crossroads Mall in the community room, but when the Mall was sold, the new owner asked all of the groups using the community room to pay a fee, and since this group is pretty small, they had to look for a new place to meet. The assisted living center just behind Crossroads, Sunrise Senior Living, offered them a space for free.  The senior center is perfect.  It is cozy.  There is free coffee, tea, juice, and COOKIES!  And sometimes, the residents join in with the group.  As a thank you to the center, the crochet guild members are planning to hook lapghans for the residents.  I think it's a great idea.

This group is much like the Knitting Guild.  They do a lot of charity hooking.  Many of the members are in both guilds.  On Sunday, they had a little party for one of the members.


I was lucky in my first meeting.  They were honoring Lester Vaughn.


Lester is a former knitting and crochet teacher at Pacific Fabrics.  She is truly a local treasure.  Many of the members of both guilds learned to knit and crochet from her.  She is "retired" now at the age of 91, but still attends all of the guild meetings, and the open stitching groups at Pacific Fabrics.  There is a lovely blog article about her on their website here.

Knitting

I have been trying to finish up a few projects that have a deadline.  I finished my socks for SKA, SolidSocks, and my OWL and already blogged about that.  But I wanted to finish up one more class for HPKCHC.  I have finished all 8 classes now, detention, and 2 Quidditch games for October.  I also hit the 50% mark on my BROOM project.  So I am totally up to date for the game and ready for November.

Wow.  All you need to do to play the game is submit 1 class every month.  That was my plan.   But I am horribly competitive.  Also, I feel guilty if I don't get all of the points possible for my House which is Gryffindor.

The last things I finished up are a hat for my son, Pookie, to wear on Halloween.  He wants to be Sherlock Holmes, so I made the Elementary - Deerslayer Hat.  I have to say I did not like the pattern.  I actually paid for it, but it is not very professionally written.  It is a bit difficult to follow, and I had to really reduce the size as it came out HUGE.  But it pretty much looks like the right hat, so it's all good.


I was also knitting frantically on my spa washcloths.


I proposed this project as a BROOM, and am now making 10 by the end of November.  This works out perfectly for me as I need a crap load of them for Christmas gifts.  I am really trying to make my class assignments be for things I would be making anyway.  The game gives me a push to GET THINGS FINISHED.  I like that.  But I was feeling just a tiny bit stressed this month with the 2 trips I took, and the amazing wrinkled raisin costume I sewed, that I would not finish up all of the classes.

We can get points for only 6 class turn ins.  I have turned in 8 each month.  Why?  Why?  because there is a special Gryffindor badge for people who turn in all 8 classes each month (24 classes), detention each month (3), and participate in all Quidditch Challenges.  This badge is called the Crazy Train Conductor Badge.

Toot!  Toot!  I am on the crazy train.

Stay safe and well.
Yours,

f1bercat
Shaping the planet in the rain.
later in the day, still raining, but the fog on the lake has lifted

No comments:

Post a Comment