Monday, October 22, 2012

Lily's Socks

Hello!

I'm posting quickly before running out to attend the monthly meeting of the Eastside Knitters Guild. This is not my regular S n B group that meets on Wednesdays.  This is an actual Knitting Guild and it is a member of the Knitting Guild Association.  I have posted about this group before, but not for a while because I have not been able to attend a meeting since the beginning of the summer.  Since they only meet once a month, on the 4th Monday, if I am not at home that day... well, I have been gone quite a bit.

They not only participate in some great knitting charities, like making scarves for the Special Olympics, but they have speakers at the meetings.  Tonight's speaker is from the Skacel Company. This company is based in the area, is the distributor of Addi Knitting Needles,  and will be opening a retail store soon.  I will report back here.

On the needles

This is just a quick photo of my purple Bubbly Socks.  Once again, the pattern is by VeryBusyMonkey, and I am getting a 3fer out of these.  The color for October for SolidSocks Group is Purple, VeryBusyMonkey is one of the featured designers for Sock Knitters Anonymous (SKA),  and these are the 2nd of 3 pairs of socks I am making for my History of Magic OWL in Harry Potter Knitting/Crochet House Cup (HPKCHC) Group.  They are for Lily Potter, who excelled in Potions Class.  The bubbles and the purple color both reminded me of Harry's mom.

I started these before I left to go down to California to help out at my brother's house, but didn't make much progress.  I love the pattern, I love the yarn.  For some reason, I keep twisting the cables the wrong way.  Finally, I just gave in.  If they are twisted wrong, well they will just stay that way.  I think that I will make my next pair of cabled socks 1-at-a-time, though.  It is just too hard to fix cable errors by dropping down, and too time consuming to tink 2 pairs when only one has the error.

I brought these socks to Arizona last weekend, and worked almost monogamously on them.  I was able to knit both heels, finish the gussets, and begin working down the feet.  I was getting a bit worried that I wouldn't finish them by October 31, the deadline for SolidSocks, because they are tough to work on if it is at all dark.  Now I know I will be finished by this weekend at the latest.

I still have a special hat that I am knitting for my son, Pookie, for Halloween, and my daughter, Moogie, asked if I would sew her a costume.  I need to get cracking on those.

Maybe tomorrow.

Stay safe and well.
Yours,

f1bercat
Shaping the planet with purple socks.



No comments:

Post a Comment