Monday, October 1, 2012

Quidditch Food Fight!

Bellevue, WA sunrise
Hello!

Just a quick post.

I left my home in Washington Saturday, September 29th and flew down to Southern California.  I am staying at my brother's house again, for about 2 weeks while his wife is doing some military training.

The internet is very slow here, so posting photos is a bit difficult.

HPKCHC

I managed to turn in one last class for the Harry Potter Knitting Crochet House Cup.  I had finished all of my classes, and well, I just needed to make SOMETHING.  So I hooked a scarf that I had gotten the materials and pattern for while on the 2012 Puget Sound LYS Tour back in May.

This scarf, modeled by my niece, Bella,

was hooked with Shepherd's Wool by Stonehenge Fiber Mill in Raspberry.  I got the yarn and the pattern, X Marks the Spot, at Knot Just Yarn in Burlington, WA.

 It was a super fast hook.  I made it about 20 chains longer, and 1 extra repeat of the pattern.  Then I left off the border, and just sc'd around the scarf.

I turned it in to the History of Magic class.  This class's assignments were all centered around a story from the book The Tales of Beedle the Bard.   Especially, The Fountain of Fair Fortune, which, it seems, was once produced at Hogwarts as a play.  One of the choices was to craft a prop or set piece for the play.  So I turned in this scarf and said that it was a "Creeper" that had come out of a crack in the wall surrounding a magical garden where the fountain was hidden.  The Creeper grabs the 4 main characters, and drags them into the garden.

The last thing I crafted before September ended was something for Quidditch.  The 2nd Quidditch challenge is a Food Fight!  The idea is to craft food, or something that has anything to do with food, then virtually (on a thread in the group) throw it at someone in another house.

I had promised my sister, K, a wine cozy.  When I visited her in Houston last July, I had brought her a Teapot Cozy, but she didn't have a teapot!  So, I told her I would make her a wine cozy.  The Quidditch challenge was the perfect push to get this gift finished.

I used It's My Party: Wine Cozy pattern by Donna Hulka.  It only took a few hours to finish it.  I  brought it with me to Bella's basketball game, (her team won)


and finished it before heading out to the Holy Family Cathedral Fiesta

When I got back after the Fiesta, I posted on the Group, and virtually shook up a bottle of Butter Beer, then sprayed Sentstarr of Slytherin, my partner in the Interhouse Unity Challenge in September.
Not the best photo, but I was trying to just Get It Done and turn it in.  It is my first time crocheting with beads.

I also managed to finish my Better than French Vanilla Socks, except for the final Kitchenering of the toes, then did that when I woke up today, and WIP'ed the First!  by turning in a finished WIP for detention on the first day of the new month.

I have cast on a new pair of socks in purple yarn for SKA, SolidSocks, and my OWL, as well as the Mobius Cowl for my son, Pookie.  Photos of both to follow.

O!  also, in a short where in the world is f1bercat, I walked around the block this morning, which was not that easy as the temperature went over 100 F.

Stay safe and well.
Yours,
f1bercat
shaping the world with a bunch of new class assignments

The band, Cheap Date, performs at the Fiesta











No comments:

Post a Comment