Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Tale of 2 Heels

Warning!  Lots of spoiler photos of the Rombikiri Socks by YarnYenta.


I am participating in the Solid Socks Mystery Sock KAL/Green Sock challenge for the month of June.  The pattern is called Rombikiri, and is by the YarnYenta, Heatherly Walker.  The pattern so far is this wonderful diamond design.

The 3rd clue was for the heels.  Nothing new there, just an Eye of Partridge Heel with a Garter Stitch Border. (Notice how casually I write that?  LOL!  I've done 3 socks now with borders, and this is my 2nd Eye of Partridge Heel.  I'm such an expert!)




But it got me really thinking about design. Like many new knitters, I want to learn how to design my own pieces.  I am now pretty comfortable with altering socks for size.  I have taken things designed to be knitted flat, and changed them to the round (like the Belinda Jane Doll by Flutterby Patch).  But, I have not started a design from scratch.


There is a woman who comes occasionally to the Eastside Stitchers Wednesday night Stitch n Bitch who was making  pair of socks of her own design.  And, as she described it, it's not that hard.  I mean, you just pick a lace or texture pattern that has a reasonable number of repeats, and use it. Of course, that is basically true, but when you look at really successful patterns, there is more to it.  There is something about balance, and poetry in a really successful design.

Why do designers choose one heel over another?

Here are some of the heels I have knit over this year:


My first Eye of Partridge heels.

Hermione's Everyday Socks by Erica Lueder Oct SKA 2011
For the November, Man Sock, SKA challenge, I made 2 pair of socks, both with traditional sl 1 k1 heel flaps.

Movember Mystery Sock by Deb Barnhill Nov SKA 2011

Mr. Pitt's Socks by Kaitlyn Wong Nov SKA 2011
The choices for top down socks seem to be, continuing some kind of pattern over the flap, plain stockinette (not very sturdy), the standard s1 k1 ribbed flap, and Eye of Partridge.  Now, I am sure there are more possibilities, but these are the ones I have learned.

So, how does a designer decide which to use in her sock design?  I am so fashion senseless.  It seems to me in the socks that I posted above that the heel choices were really on the mark.  The heels for the men's socks need to wear well, but not be too fussy.

The Snuggly Socks, designed by Liz Marino, that I made in her Gift Knits Club this year, follow the same principle.
Snuggly Socks by Liz Marino for 2012 Gift Knits Club


These socks used a textured rib, and are a unisex design, so the heel shouldn't be too fussy.

The Hermione's Every Day Socks, are pretty simple, but still feminine.  The Eye of Partridge Heel is a nice choice.


I love that heel, and think it is a pretty choice for the current socks I am knitting.  Also, it's fun to practice the pattern again.

So, what will my first sock design be?  And how will I construct the heels?  I have no idea.  But I am excited to think about it.

Where in the World is f1bercat?

 I knitted on the exercise bike this weekend as well as today, so I am going to add the 2 distances together, and make it look like I went really far!  And although I don't feel too poorly, I have the beginning of a cold, with the achy muscles, etc., so I'm really proud of myself for making it to the Y today. 6.86 miles on Saturday, + 7.34 miles today put me at 255.19 miles total on my trip.


View Larger Map

I am almost half way down the state of Oregon.

I'm starting to believe there is an end.  Maybe next year?

Stay safe and well.
Yours,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with a lot of socks






No comments:

Post a Comment