Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Someone Stop Me

Wasp Nest on Our Garage Door

Hello!

Yes, that is a wasp nest (or perhaps hornets' nest) I found on our garage door.  EEEEEK!

I want to say thank you again to my daughter, Moogie, for taking time out from her busy schedule to guest blog for me.  In the fall, I plan to spend a few days in Portland with her, and we can go to some of the places she wrote about.

WIP's

Warning, there are photos of the SolidSocks Mystery Sock Clue 1 in this post.  If you don't want to see it, please don't scroll down.

I have been very busy with my knitting.  I cast off quite a few things last week, and of course immediately cast on some new projects.  What is wrong with me?  or am I just like every other obsessed knitter?

This month for Sock Knitters Anonymous, the challenge is to knit a pattern that is Underappreciated.  The rules are:

"patterns that have up to and including 15 or less projects listed on the pattern’s project page including all active, hibernating, frogged and/or ugh! projects. In the case of one pattern being translated into alternate language versions, the combined total for all the versions must be under 15. Every pattern page has a link in the lower right to all that designer’s patterns. For this challenge, please make a point of checking out the designer’s other patterns to make sure there are no additional versions!"

There are also 2 designers you can choose from, if you don't want to do an underappreciated pattern (or can't find one).

One of the designers is Anne Campbell, who designed Circle Socks, a pattern I have long admired and wanted to knit when I had time.  This pattern really needs a variegated yarn, so if I chose it, it wouldn't count for Solid Socks (whose challenge color is green).  OOOOO and I love doing two-fer projects and getting credit from both groups.

Solid Socks, in addition to the color challenge, has a mystery sock challenge every two months.  This month the designer of the Mystery Sock is YarnYenta (Heatherly Walker).

So what to do?  How can I decide?  I am trying to finish the Belinda Jane Doll from Flutterby Patch for my niece, M's 4th birthday this month.


I'm working on the Echo Flower Shawl for my mom.  I am on the 11th of 13 repeats of the main section.


 I'm making the 5th of 21 Spa Washcloths, idea from the Liz Marino Gift Knits Club.


I'm working on a pair of Better than French Vanilla Socks for my son, J.



I'm knitting a chemo hat for  Sharing Our Gifts.



and am making 2 afghans with 2012 BAMCAL.

So, what do I do?

I decide to make BOTH SOCKS!
Really, someone should stop me.

I have cast on and am about 1/2 way through the first clue of the Solid Socks Mystery sock.  It is called Rombikiri.  I am using the gorgeous Granny Smith colored yarn (remember, the challenge is GREEN) by Huckleberry Knits that I bought during the Puget Sound LYS Crawl at Apple Yarns, in Bellingham, WA.  I loved that shop, and loved their sock yarns.



  I bought a 2nd skein of apple themed yarn there, also from Huckleberry Knits, called Honeycrisp.  Have to say, that is one of my favorite apples, and the yarn's colors really give the feel of the fruit.

I have not cast these on yet, but I have separated the skein into 2 balls (so I can knit 2aat), and am hoping to start them soon.  I just need to get that doll finished!

I have made huge progress on the doll, and can't wait to have her all done.  I am also sewing some quick ballet costumes for my sons' studio performance this Friday.  So, I have somewhat limited time to knit.

EEK!  Why am I making two pairs of socks this month?

Because I love to knit socks.

Where in the World is f1bercat?


I knit another 5 miles today on my spa wash cloths.  I am not pedaling very fast though.  I am trying to watch my speed and not the timer or the mileage as I knit, but I have slowed down a bit from before I got the flu, and just can't seem to get the speed back.  It really doesn't matter how fast I ride, because I am trying to work up to 30 minutes of riding.  The miles don't really count.  Right?  Why must I compete with myself?

I also walked .5 miles while reading The Game of Thrones.  I got a tiny bit antsy because I would rather be Knitting!  ( I love to read, but just can't seem to focus lately), but reading really helps me last.  I am trying to work up to 1 mile a day walking.  I will need to get faster or I will be on the treadmill forever!  I'm so out of shape, that I am very very slow right now.  At least I feel good and not super sore after my "workouts."


View Larger Map

Look, I made it to Milwaulkie.

Stay safe and well.

Yours,
f1bercat
shaping the planet one, two, three pairs of socks at a time


blurry photo of a deer in our backyard
 





1 comment:

  1. It's Bigfoot!

    Huckleberry Knit yarn was the greatest discovery of the tour, in my opinion. I still have to block my shawl (I need to pick up my blocking board) and then start my Red Delicious scarf. To be honest, I think I'm going to put it off just so I have something to look forward to when I go to use it. :)

    ReplyDelete