Thursday, June 21, 2012

Full House at Eastside Stitchers


Happy Summer Solstice!

The Eastside Stitchers meet up at Crossroads Mall was so much fun tonight.  We had 2 new members show up.  And although a few of our regulars were missing due to illness (get well soon, Colleen), dogs (hurry back, MsWiz), work (hope your schedule slows down Allifer), and drama (Cleothyla), we had a great time.

So, who was there and what were they stitching?

GwenS was working on a new cowl, the Abigail by tante ehm.  She was using her Malibrigo Finito in the Cereza colorway that she bought at Serial Knitters during the Puget Sound LYS Crawl.






Chockelet had much to show and tell as usual.  First, she brought the Clapotis shawl by Kate Gilbert that she was knitting with Blue Heron Yarn in Rayon/Metallic in the Cactus Colorway.



Then right before our very eyes, she FROGGED the whole thing.  She decided that she wanted to use a different size needle.  And plans to start it over.




As for show and tell, Chockelet brought some new card weaving projects.


Ellyol brought her finished Seafoam Shawl, by Kimberly McAlindin knit in Huckleberry Knits fingering weight in the Winesap Colorway.  Ellyol bought this yarn at Apple Yarns during the Puget Sound LYS Crawl.





She started a new baby bib.




Chatzy, no longer new to our little group, was trying to cast on a new sweater, The Bottom's Up by Alice Bell. 





Tara1682 came in at the end, and I FORGOT TO PHOTOGRAPH HER PROJECT.  Bad f1bercat.

But, who are the new people, and what were THEY working on?

Redbird1 brought a Holden Shawlette by Mindy Wilkes.  She was using Blue Heron Yarn's Silk & Silver in the Seal-Ombre colorway.


 and Hrvdmnky brought her newly started Log Cabin Blanket.


 Welcome Redbird1 and Hrvdmnky!

Where in the world is f1bercat?

Today I knitted 6.15 miles.  I usually work on the spa washcloths I am making as gifts for my sisters while I am riding the exercise bike, but today I worked on my Circle Socks.  That pattern is so easy, that I have discovered I can work on the socks AND ride.  Totally cool.





But, where am I?


View Larger Map

just outside of Corvallis, Oregon.

Here is my progress on the big map:


View Larger Map

Finally, I want to say just a few words about the USOC and their cease and desist order to Ravelry about the Ravelympics.  This is what I posted on my Facebook page:


The USOC has sent a cease and desist order to the online Knitting/Crochet site www.Ravelry.com telling us to stop using the name "Ravelympics" for our 3rd biennial crafting challenge. For this user sponsored and run event, completely volunteer and non-commercial, members join teams, then cast on, or start, a project during the Opening Ceremonies and try to complete the project before the Closing ceremonies. Badges can be won for your Ravelry home page for the different types of projects completed.

In the letter, the USOC Lawyers state "The Olympic Games represent ideals that go beyond sport to encompass culture and education, tolerance and respect, world peace and harmony." Obviously, they don't encompass craft.

Also, stated in the letter, "We believe using the name “Ravelympics” for a competition that involves an afghan marathon, scarf hockey and sweater triathlon, among others, tends to denigrate the true nature of the Olympic Games. In a sense, it is disrespectful to our country’s finest athletes and fails to recognize or appreciate their hard work."

I am sad that the USOC believes that my crocheting a cardigan (planned to be my Ravelympic project as I am a captain of Team Crossroads), while watching the Olympics on TV denigrates the true nature of the Olympic Games.

I am seriously considering boycotting the Olympics and all sponsors.
 Stay safe and well.
Yours,
f1bercat
I carry pointy sticks.  USOC, watch out. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment