Saturday, November 15, 2014

Sleeping in Seattle

Hello:

Ok, the title should be Sleeping in Issaquah.  Last night I went to see Mary Poppins at the Village Theatre in Issaquah.  This is a wonderful little local theater that puts on quality productions.  Was Mary Poppins as good as the best shows I've seen there?  I have no idea.  I slept through most of it.  I kept dozing off, only to jerk awake and think, "How did THESE people get on the stage?"  I know the story from the movie really well as I love the movie.  I had even read the books by P.L. Travers when I was in High School.  But the musical is just different enough, that as I dozed off and woke up, I was often confused.  I remember at one point thinking, maybe I can just Listen to the show...

I have been trying to catch up on the 3 scarves I am currently crafting.  I say "crafting," because I am knitting two of them, and crocheting the third.

The first is the Racing Raindrops by Churchmouse Yarn and Teas.  I am making this for a swap through the Savvy Girls Podcast.  My goal is to have this scarf finished by November 19.  I am pretty much on track.  I need to knit 3 g every day to finish, but on Friday, because I went to the theater, I didn't work on this scarf at all.
I have passed the 50% mark and am decreasing.  It is going pretty quickly now, and I am excited to see what it looks like when it is finished and blocked.

The second scarf that I'm knitting is for Quidditch.  The prompt is to make something amazing that will dazzle and confuse Professor Umbridge.  I am using this amazing sparkly yarn by Little Red Bicycle called Spark Lace.  I am way behind on this scarf, I need to finish it by November 27, but I got about 15 g knit today, so I am catching up.
I am behind because I worked on it for 2 days, then decided that I didn't like the way the decreases looked and frogged the whole thing.  I started over, and am now frantically trying to get back on track.  This skein has over 800 yds (100 g), so if I can knit 5g/day, I can finish the whole thing.  Since I am only at 70g, I need to knit another 15 g tomorrow to be completely on track.  I can do it.

The last scarf I am making is probably going to be a cowl.  It is the Endless Cables Cowl by Laurinda Reddig.  The pattern is in Crochet! Magazine.  I get the magazine because I am a member of the Crochet Guild of America.  This is the first pattern I have made from the magazine, and I really like the stitch pattern.  I made another one of these last month, but I gave it away as a gift.
This first one used worsted weight yarn, and it is really thick and warm, but a bit bulky.  The one I am making now is with Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light which is Sport Weight.  I like the weight of this one better.  I am using a big hook, size I (5.5 mm) so it is loose and a bit drapey.  It is more narrow than the first cowl.
The one problem with this version is that I only have 2 skeins, and it won't be long enough to wrap around my neck twice.  I will have to see what that looks like.  I can't think of any way to fix that, unless I get 2 more skeins of some other color and make it two toned with each half a different color.
I don't have as much of a deadline for this cowl, just the end of the month so I can turn it in for a HPKCHC class.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment