Monday, November 25, 2013

Tolt Yarn and Wool

Hello!

I made it to the opening of the Eastside's newest LYS, Tolt Yarns and Wool, two weeks ago.  But, I had such little time there, and the store was so crowded with the fun of the Grand Opening,

that I decided to wait to write about the shop. 

I was very impressed with the shop at the opening, and even more impressed now that I have been back to see it a second time.

The shop is big, and has an open airy feel. 
The fixtures and shelves are rustic and funky.

Yarns are interestingly displayed.
There is a lot of great lighting with big picture windows in front and lots of overhead lights, even chandeliers.
The main thing, of course, is the yarn.  There are many brands I have never seen before, or rarely seen.  They carry some really interesting local yarns, like SpinCycle Yarns from Bellingham, WA, as well as yarns from farther away, like this Reywa Fibers Tibetan Yak Down.
They had a wall of Malabrigo, and another of Madelinetosh.  They didn't just carry a few skeins, but seemed pretty deep in many colors.

They have a fair number of samples on display, and both Skeinherder and Wireknitter came home with yarn and a pattern for a new cowl.

I picked up some yarn for gift exchanges, because I am knitting from stash, still.  But, O! I was tempted.

I bought two skeins of Imperial Yarn.
This yarn is from Oregon, and is the yarn being used to make the knitwear for Team USA for 2014 Winter Olympics.

I also bought two skeins of alpaca from a ranch in the valley, Legacy Ranch.
Talk about local.

I feel that this yarn shop has the chance to rival Churchmouse, especially since there is no ferry ride involved, yet it is in a picturesque setting.  Since it is about a 30 minute drive for me, it is not much farther than Serial Knitters.  I will definitely go back when I need gift yarn, or something special for myself, as they have a wonderful amount of lovely higher end yarns. 

I would love love love to design something for them.

My only wish is for more sock yarns.  Ha ha ha ha!  That is always my wish.

I will definitely go back soon.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with swap yarn.






No comments:

Post a Comment