Monday, November 4, 2013

The Bird and More Hawaii

Hello:

I'm going to start out with a bit about Hawaii, and then show the progress on my colorwork socks, The Bird, so just a warning that the photo of those socks will be R-rated.  Scroll down at your own discretion.

Hawaii

On our second day in Maui, Doc and I had a ride in an outrigger canoe.  We scheduled this with Maui Paddle Sports.  It was soooooooo much fun.  When we made the plan, I thought we would just sit in the canoes, and the guys would paddle us around.  NO!  We had a guide in front and in back, and then there was one other tourist, Doc, and me.  We had to help paddle.  At first, I thought, I was going to be great at it, and they would say, "wow, f1bercat, you should do this professionally." Then as we actually started paddling, I could only hope that I wasn't going to get in the way of everyone else.
The guides were awesome.  They kept up the chat the whole time, telling us all kinds of things about growing up on the islands, racing canoes, etc.  It was so interesting, and kept my mind off how awkward I was.  We saw lots of turtles.  I wish I had brought my camera in the boat, though I'm sure it would have gotten wet.
I totally recommend this company to everyone.  It is really a great experience, and a unique way to see Maui.

The next day, we took a hiking tour of the highest volcano on Maui (Maui has 2 volcanoes), Haleakala.  We went with a company called, Hike Maui.  Our guide was Marco, and he was great.  He knew so much about the endangered plants and birds that can be found on the volcano (which is a national park). 


We drove up and took two hikes.  That high, above the clouds, mostly, it is really cold.
The first hike was about 2 miles down to the edge of the "crater." 
My legs were jelly by the time we got back up to where the van was parked.  Then we drove up almost to the peak, and took another, steeper trail down into the crater.
It was like being on the moon.  We ate lunch down in the volcano,

then hiked (very slowly with lots of stops to rest)  back up.  We drove the last bit up to the top where the observatories are.
It was clear enough to see the big Island, Hawaii.
It was like being on top of the world.
Knitting
Warning, this part has some R-rated photos.

While I was driving in the van (or the rental car to our excursions), and also on the beach, I have been knitting some wash cloths for the SavvyGirls Swapetition, and a pair of fingerless mitts for one of my nephews.
At night, when we are in the condo, I have been working on the colorwork socks for Moogie, The Bird.  I am almost finished with the legs.
I love how they look.  The pattern calls for a short row heel.  I will probably make an Afterthought/Peasant heel instead. I am not sure if I will continue the pattern on the foot as it is very slow going.  I might either stripe them, or do the pattern only on the instep and checkerboard the soles.  Something that will look good, but be quicker.  It is a good night's knitting if I finish 5 rows.  But, I do love them.

It's late, so bed time.  Tomorrow we are going to a Luau.  After that, one more day here.  Wow, it has gone by so quickly!

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the world with a bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment